Compulsive Shopping Hero
Compulsive Shopping Hero
Rebecca Hoskins / Her Campus Media
Style > Fashion

An Interview with Kaliyah of K.MiniTotes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Plattsburgh chapter.

I first met Kaliyah when she asked to present her bags at a club event for Black Onyx: Black Student Union’s fashion show. I did not get the opportunity to speak to her until after the show when I asked about her bags. 

To think, a bag that small could be so cute as well as versatile, and she makes these totes as a full-time student. I had the opportunity to speak to her and we talked about what her business is up to at the moment, and what customers could look forward to in the future from her. 

Her Campus Plattsburgh: Hello! Can you tell the readers your name and your business here at SUNY Plattsburgh?

Kaliyah Green: Of course! My name is Kaliyah Green, and I own a tote bag-based company, which are all handmade by me. Each bag is a one-of-one, which means that each bag is unique and different. I often take custom orders as well as I have a men’s collection, which includes some fanny packs or a zip pouch for money for the guys.

HC Plattsburgh: What motivated you to start your business?

KG: What motivated me was my love for fashion. My mom was the one to help me start because she would often bring home different fabrics/materials, and I would try to figure out what I could make with it. At this point, I knew how to sow because I used to see my grandmother sow by hand dog clothes. I then went to Walmart, got a sewing machine and created my first tote. I then posted it on Instagram, and it gained a lot of attention, which only pushed me further to start my business.

HC Plattsburgh: What is the best way you advertise your business?

KG: A lot of the promotion that I do for my bags is done by myself. I often wear my own bags to class with cute outfits. Each tote bag is very versatile and can go with anything. The second way I promote my business is through this Japanese artist who draws out pictures of clients who have worn my bags, and I use them on my website. Her name is Yuki, so shout out to her. I do a lot of promoting through my Instagram, as well as using my email newsletter from my website to let people know what’s going on.

HC Plattsburgh: You seem to keep yourself pretty busy. How do you handle keeping up with your business as well as keeping up with your own school work?

KG: I think my secret is my ability to work fast. There was a business fair here at our school, and I received about six to seven orders from that event alone. I was able to finish those orders in a week. I use a lot of my free time in between classes and homework to complete my orders. Another thing that helps me is the convenience of the mail center on campus. I use them to help ship off my orders.

HC Plattsburgh: My final question is where do you see your business going in five years?

KG: Hopefully, I will have a contract with another company by then! I would have them make my bag, and I would really be able to be hands-on, in terms of the creative style in each bag. I see my brand growing and having customers from all over the world. I had the opportunity to send one of my bags to Queen Najia, so that was pretty cool to me. 

HC Plattsburgh: I want to thank you for taking the time to speak with me! I am so excited to see where your business goes! I may have to buy a bag from you in the future.

KG: Absolutely! It was my pleasure.

I hope after reading this, you buy a bag or two and support a college student in her journey into the fashion world through tote bags.

Angelina Briggs

Plattsburgh '24

Angelina Briggs is the new Event Director at SUNY Plattsburgh. She is an avid music listener and would love to have the opportunity to work in the music industry. Whenever she is not working on school work or active in other clubs on campus, you can find her dancing with her amazing dance team called High Voltage. She can not wait to see everyone's beautiful face!