This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Plattsburgh chapter.

The time is almost near where thousands of students are anticipating their final exams, semester, classes and more. It’s a bittersweet moment for many, as it is the last step as a young adult and you fully transition into the real world. However, just because you are going to be done with college doesn’t mean you still can’t have fun or look good doing so. 

Graduation is a great place to show your style. People may not consider it a big deal for fashion, as you are wearing a bulky gown for the majority of the time. But dressing up a frumpy gap and gown would make you feel so much better for your life changing accomplishment. You have your graduation photos, which is the perfect opportunity to show what you want to wear or do. 

Your look all depends on your graduation date and semester. There are the fall graduates who will have to wear more layers, as it gets colder outside. Then you have the spring graduates who will have to wear some lighter colors and clothes to not be choked up and suffocating in the warmer weather. Gearing up to look your best for graduation is a must. 

Let’s break down some outfit ideas and color schemes that may fit you, so that you can look and feel your best, while you fight for your style to not be overtaken in the bulky gown.

For starters, the most important thing is to look at what color compliment’s your complexion and features. There is always something you can do to make your photos pop, and a simple way to do so is through lighting and color placement. Now, it may be a little complicated, seeing as you have to find colors that compliment your complexion. And it’s vital that whatever color you choose ensures you look good during the season of your graduation. Another great way to find your complimenting colors is going on YouTube. There are plenty of videos that can help you while taking your undertones into consideration. Wishtrend TV has some amazing videos that can break down everything you need to know. 

Afterwards, once you find your color, you have to take into consideration what the weather might be like. If it’s warmer, you may want to find thinner or airy clothes that won’t make you feel hot during your two to four  hour ceremony. It’s all about what you are comfortable with wearing; that takes priority. So, if you don’t mind wearing shorter clothes like shorts and dresses, that’ll be good for this time of year, but if not, then there are many different alternatives. 

Now fall graduation ceremonies are a bit challenging to predict, because although it’ll most likely be colder, you don’t want to wear something too warm. The indoor ceremony in too many layers may make you become overheated. Also, there’s nothing wrong with an outfit change.  However, if you take that route, you’ll have more to think about, regarding when you’re going to change, who’s going to watch your things and most importantly, does it make you look and feel like the best version of yourself. Lastly, shoes can arguably be the most significant part of your outfit. You do not want to be the person walking across the stage wobbling because you’ve decided to wear the most uncomfortable shoes in the world. Remember, it can be cute while staying practical. 

Regardless of what you choose to wear, just know that you should be proud of your accomplishments and no matter what, you’re already doing great.

Dnaysha Griggs

Plattsburgh '24

A third- year student attending Suny Plattsburgh, majoring in English Language Arts and minoring in Theatre. I am a creative soul that truly appreciate drawing and digital art. Some hobbies of mine are, trying new things, drawing, watching animation, and writing.