This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

So you’re no longer a freshman with a meal plan and (unfortunately) your mom’s not here to make you food, meaning you actually have to make the dreadful trip to the grocery store. Where’s the freshest food? What’s the cheapest? What’s the closest? Luckily for you, I’ve researched and compiled some tips for grocery shopping in Pittsburgh!

Best Prices: Aldi

Southside Location (2628 E Carson St)

• Distance from Oakland: ~15 minutes
  • Recommended Route: Take bus 75 at Fifth and Atwood (across from Popeye’s). Get off at E Carson St. at S 27th St.

Shadyside Location (5621 Baum Blvd)

• Distance from Oakland: ~15 minutes
  • Recommended Route: Take bus 71A or 71C at Fifth and Oakland (in front of Rita’s). Get off at Negley Ave at Baum Blvd.

What to buy here: dry goods, produce (at the beginning of the week)

Tip: Check their website for weekly specials!

Best Selection: Giant Eagle

Shadyside Location (5550 Centre Ave)

• Distance from Oakland: ~15 minutes
  • Recommended Route: Take bus 71C at Fifth Ave and Thackeray (in front of Towers). Get off at Centre Ave at Negley Ave.
  • This location has the best selection, in my opinion!

East Liberty Location (6320 Shakespeare St)

• Distance from Oakland: ~10-15 minutes
  • Recommended Route: Take bus 75 at Fifth Ave and Thackeray (in front of Towers). Get off at Ellsworth Ave at Shady Ave.

Southside Location (2021 Wharton Street)

• Distance from Oakland: ~10 minutes
  • Recommended Route: Take bus 54 at Fifth Ave and Thackeray (across from Towers). Get off at E Carson St. and S 21st St.

Squirrel Hill Location (1901 Murray Avenue)

• Distance from Oakland: ~15 minutes
  • Recommended Route: Take bus 61A at Forbes Ave and S Bouquet St (in front of Barco Law School). Get off at Forbes Ave at Murray Ave.

Best Quality: Trader Joe’s

East Liberty Location (6343 Penn Avenue)

• Distance from Oakland: ~15 minutes
  • How to get there: Take bus 75 at Fifth Ave and Thackeray (in front of Towers). Get off at Penn Ave at Shady Ave.

What to buy here: Healthy snacks, produce when on sale

Tip: It’s not as expensive as you may think! Take a trip there, look around and see what you would buy there. 

Extra tip: Don’t buy groceries at Target, but definitely get your toiletries and makeup there!

Of course, these are just recommended routes and you may find an easier way to get to these stores depending on where you are located. Thankfully, Google Maps and other apps make it easy to find the fastest and easiest route to your destination. Hope this makes your future grocery trips stress-free!

Image credit: 1, 2, 3

Sarah Churchman, HC Pitt's Senior Editor, is a super senior at the University of Pittsburgh studying Computer & Information Science with a specialty in User Design! She is the reserach lead in CyREN, the school's cybersecurity lab. Along with InfoSci, Sarah is minoring in Creative Writing with a focus in poetry. She is an editor at Forbes & Fifth, a student-run magazine. She is also part of H2o church. She's obsessed with tacos, Tommy Hilfiger, and ordering things off Amazon Prime!
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt