Your (Almost) Complete Guide to Pittsburgh’s Independent Coffee Shops

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

For me, drinking a cup of coffee isn’t just a choice, but a lifestyle: a very Lorelei Gilmore-esque lifestyle that always has me slightly insane with caffeine jitters. I love coffee so much I even own my own espresso machine AND a Keurig. But when I want to get out of my apartment and try something new, I love trying different coffee shops around Pittsburgh. It is so much fun to go to a new place with a fresh study vibe, so I can be productive and do work while drinking a good cup of coffee that isn’t Dunkin, Starbucks or Crazy Mocha. Chain places are fine for a caffeine boost, but independent coffee shops are gems in taste, vibe and service. So here is a comprehensive list of some places for you to try!

Oakland

Redhawk

Located right in Oakland, this is a perfect place to grab coffee with a friend or run to between a long day of classes for a pick me up. On the downside, it’s pretty small so it isn’t really ideal for studying (unless you get really lucky and there is a spot to sit), but you can grab coffee and go to Hillman or the Cathedral for some typical Pitt study vibes. Also, the latte art is amazing and always makes me smile!

Squirrel Hill

The Coffee Tree Roasters

The coffee here is pretty good, but not quite as good as Zeke’s, Redhawk or Espresso a Mano. But there is a lot of seating, which makes it a great place to study! There is also a location in Shadyside that is open until 11pm, but you can take any of the 61s and walk about half a block to the location in Squirrel Hill, which is open until 10pm.

The Commonplace Coffeehouse

This is one of my favorite places to order a cappuccino in Pittsburgh. They are soooo good and the foam is the closest I can find to the true Italian cappuccinos I would get when I studied abroad in Italy. The study vibe is also really nice. There are a relatively good number of tables, but outlets are hard to come by. You can also take any of the 61s and walk about half a block to get there!

61C Café

The story behind this café is so community-oriented and wholesome that it makes its coffee shop vibe have all the charm: in short, the owners opened in 1993 to provide a friendly community environment with quality coffee. How cute is that?! The coffee is really good and the scones are amazing. The study environment is only okay, because it can become relatively crowded and noisy (at least when I’ve been there). You can take the 61C or D directly to it or take the 61A or B and walk a couple blocks. Note: they only take cash!

Shadyside

Adda Coffee and Tea House

This was the first stop on a coffee crawl a few friends and I recently embarked on and it was an amazing choice for our outing. We all ordered different variations of tea (my friend John got the Dirty Chai, Rosemary got the Ginger Tumeric Latte and I tried the Masala Chai Latte) and we all thoroughly enjoyed our choices. There were so many other amazing options that we all plan to go back to try more of the menu. I’ve also heard their avocado toast is amazing, but they didn’t have any the day of our crawl. The study atmosphere is also really great and there is an outlet under every table, which is a real find in the coffee shop circuit. Really looking forward to going back to Adda in the future! You can take the 71B directly to it or the 75 and walk a block or two.

East Liberty

Zeke’s Coffee

Oh my goodness, I love Zeke’s Coffee so much. My summer internship office was half a block away from Zeke’s, so it was a regular stop for me this summer and everything, literally EVERYTHING, is so good (believe me lol I went through practically the whole menu). I particularly liked the banana walnut muffins, which I’m pretty sure are vegan, and the French Roast coffee. I also heard amazing things about the Apple Cider donuts and plan to try them the next time I go: they sound perfect for fall! Overall, the study vibe is good, the art on the wall is fun to look at and you can take the 71B or C directly to it.

Lawrenceville

Constellation Coffee

This was the second stop on the coffee crawl I went on and probably my least favorite of the day. Although it is quiet and seems spacious, there aren’t very many tables, so I wouldn’t recommend it as a good study spot. The coffee is good and they have great cappuccinos, but one thing to note is that there is a poor selection of food, so I wouldn’t go expecting a snack. You can reach it by taking the 93.

Espresso A Mano

This was the third stop of the coffee crawl I went on and was an amazing end to my caffeine-infused day. Because of the name I (of course) had to order an espresso, and they had two different kinds to choose from: a Mexican bean that has a rich taste with a hint of caramel, and a Columbian bean that has a toffee flavor. I chose the Mexican bean and it did not disappoint! Rosemary and John both ordered whatever was on drip and loved their coffee as well. The study vibe was good (there were a lot of other people working) and the barista kindly let us put two tables together so we would have enough room. One downside is that outlets are really hard to find. You can take the 54 or 93 and walk a few blocks to get there.

South Side

Beehive Coffeehouse

This coffee shop has such a funky 60s vibe that makes it one of my favorite places in Pittsburgh. The décor is amazing (there is a disco ball in the back!) and they serve both beer and coffee all day long! And don’t pass up the $2 pots of tea: they are cheap and perfect for a long afternoon or evening of studying (Beehive is open until 10pm!!!). You can take the 54, but have to walk a few blocks once you get off in South Side.

Greenfield

Staghorn Garden Coffee

This coffee shop has some really interesting chairs and is very community-oriented, which is fun (there is a kids’ corner with toys and games). They also serve Zeke’s coffee, which is good, but the prices are just slightly more expensive than other coffee shops. And for an already $4/5 cup of coffee, this is a little disappointing. This is another coffee shop with a relatively good and quiet study vibe and you can take the 58 directly to it.

Now that fall is here, make sure to try one of these amazing independent coffee houses!

Photo Credit: 1, 2, 4, 7, 8, 9, 10; 3, 5, and 6 belong to the author

Junior Fiction Writing and English Literature double majors Italian Studies minor Fun facts: I love all things Italy! My last name even means bread and my friends call me toast. My spirit animals are unicorns, mermaids or Hello Kitty(:
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt