nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

You Got the Job! Here’s How to Dress the Part

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Congrats! You finally received a phone call from your interviewer that you got the job you’ve been dying for. Unfortunately, it’s not over – it’s only just begun. Something that may be stressing you out before your first day of work is what you should even wear. Here are a few tips and tricks to keep in mind before your first day on the job!

Scope Out the Office

You may end up starting your first day without any clue of how people dress at the company. Whether your new boss didn’t tell you, or you simply forgot to ask after your interview, it’s not the end of the world. A good rule of thumb in a situation like this is to dress as professionally as possible, then once you’re at work you can get an idea of how to dress based on what other people are wearing. Something to consider when scoping everyone out are things like age, department, seniority, etc. You may find that everyone dresses very formally except for the CEO or owner of the company, or it could be the other way around. Arriving at work overly prepared won’t look bad in anybody’s eyes.

Comfort is KEY

If this is your first professional job you may be tempted to go on a shopping frenzy and completely buy out H&M’s business attire section. You might find an adorable sleeveless silk top that tucks perfectly into a high-waisted pencil skirt and wear it with an adorable pair of black pumps. Is that really how you want to dress for the next 8 hours of your day? If you’re Miranda Priestly, stilettos could feel as comfortable as slippers, but I think a lot of people would disagree. Know what you’re most comfortable in and find clothing and shoes that work for your body. Some girls are skirt girls while others always prefer pants. If you get cold under 70 degrees, like myself, go to work prepared with a cardigan. You might feel more comfortable in a pair of heeled boots than a pair of ballet flats that will give you blisters all day. Feeling comfortable while working will help you stay productive and focused.

Dress Appropriately

There is definitely a fine line between dressing in a way that expresses yourself and your body and dressing inappropriately for work. Okay, it might seem obvious that the outfit you wore on Saturday to a club or party isn’t something you should wear to work. There are a few other things to consider, though, when thinking about whether or not the outfit is appropriate. If you work somewhere that includes the use of heavy machinery somewhere in the building, you should ask if open-toed shoes are okay in the case that you’d have to go into the warehouse. Your boss may tell you that you can wear black pants to work, so you should find out if a dark wash of black jeans is allowed or if it means specifically black slacks and pant suits. On a more personal note, you should get a sense of how comfortable you feel about wearing tighter skirts or slightly lower cut blouses. There’s nothing worse than feeling awkward and wishing you had a different shirt on.

Find Your Wow Outfit

You should be proud of the work you’ve done to get this job and the work you’ll be doing at the company. One of the most important things about joining a new company is feeling confident and feeling like you absolutely deserve to be there. For some people, this confidence could come from clothes. Find an outfit that you want to “wow” in. Wear that outfit if you’re giving a presentation to someone in a higher position. Strut down to your boss’s office in that outfit when you want to share some great ideas that could benefit the company. Whatever the case may be, you want to feel confident.

Working at a new job can be scary, especially if it’s your first one. Not having to worry as much about what you’re wearing can take a lot of stress off your shoulders. You can even go to Her Campus Pitt on Pinterest to get some great ideas on how to “dress to impress.”

Photo Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt