A Workaholic’s Guide to Relaxing: Pittsburgh Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Towards the end of the school year, all anyone can think about is summer. Warm weather, laying out on the beach, spending time with family and friends – what could be better? Until you realize that as a student still in college, summer isn’t always a time for relaxation and fun. It’s time for work. Internships, volunteering, and not to mention taking classes. What ever happened to being a kid?! I came to this harsh realization when my internship started in May. A predicted 20 minute drive to work became an hour once you hit the lovely Pittsburgh traffic. On top of that, 9 hours in an office every day isn’t exactly my definition of a good time. However, I decided early on that I’m not going to let the traffic and long hours put a damper on my summer. Despite growing up and having responsibilities, there are about a million ways to enjoy summer in Pittsburgh. Here are some helpful tips and tricks I’ve learned so far:

(Cathy being beautiful as always)

1. Meet new people. Being around fewer people on campus isn’t a reason to stick with all of your old friends, it’s a reason to make new ones! The more the merrier.

2. Find the balance between work and fun. Pittsburgh is full of activities just waiting for you to take advantage of. But, don’t have so much fun that you ruin opportunities at work or in class.

3. Eat good food – and lots of it. It’s surprising how many good restaurants Pittsburgh has to offer.

4. Go outside! Spending all day in an office or in the library is no way to enjoy summer. Lay out in Schenley Plaza, have a meal outside, or even just relax on your porch. We all know Pittsburgh won’t stay this warm and sunny for long…

5. Participate in free events! Pittsburgh is a college-friendly city, and one reason is because of all the free events. Do yoga in Market Square on Sunday mornings (free), attend a concert on Walnut Street the last Saturday of every month (also free), browse the Shadyside art galleries on the first Friday of each month (still free), or watch an outdoor movie on Flagstaff Hill (completely free!).

6. Exercise. During the school year, I find that I have absolutely no time to go to the gym, so why not take advantage of the extra time this summer? If you want to avoid the after-work crowd at the Pete (it’s packed after 5 PM), rent a bike for only $2 an hour from the Pete, or go kayaking downtown.

7. Go to at least one concert. It’s amazing how many great concerts are coming to Pittsburgh this summer. If you missed out on Luke Bryan or Dave Matthews Band, don’t fret! Jason Aldean, Zac Brown Band, and One Republic are still on their way.

8. Take a weekend road trip. Ohiopyle State Park is a popular destination for hiking and white water rafting, and it’s only about 2 hours away. If you’re looking to go a little further, the beaches of New Jersey are popular, as is Lake Michigan!

9. Go to a Pirates game. In no other city will you be able to see a professional sporting event for less than $10. Even though you might not have the best seats, the view from PNC Park is always beautiful – and you’ll run into tons of other Pitt kids.

10. In general, try new things. I constantly find myself wishing I had this much freedom during the school year to do what I want without any worries.

I can honestly say that so far, this has been the best summer of my life! Staying in Pittsburgh for the summer is something I encourage every Pitt student to do – believe me, you won’t regret it. Pitt really is the exact opposite of an empty summer college campus, and instead provides students with a lively atmosphere for work and play. Summer is only halfway over, let’s make the most of it!

Photo Credit: 1, 2, 3

My name is Melodi Reich, and I'm currently a student at the University of Pittsburgh studying Information Science. After graduation, I hope to go into a technology related field. However, writing is one of my hobbies and passions, and being a part of Her Campus has allowed me to express my more creative side through writing articles and other content. Joining Her Campus was one of the best decisions I made in college, and I can't wait to use the skills I've gained through being in this organization in the future.
Hi! My name is Amanda and I am one of the new Campus Correspondents for HC Pitt and am absolutely loving it! Helping others with advice about their articles and getting to read amazing stories has been so rewarding. I love writing about topics that make people's days just a little cheerier! Her Campus has been a wonderful experience for me over the past four years. I get to work with an amazing team every day and could not be more grateful. As a senior, looking back from where I started with Her Campus, I see how much it's changed me and all of the great friends I've made from it too. Saying HC is one of the best things that has happened to me during my college career would be an understatement! I really love how much it has grown and how much others have benefitted from their experience with our organization. HCXO <3