Winter in Oakland, As Told By Parks And Rec

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Although we enjoyed a lovely (if somewhat bipolar and probably global-warming induced) Fall, the days of light jackets and pumpkin spice lattés are here no more. Any Pitt student knows that the winter months in Oakland can be pretty rough, but perhaps no one can represent our collective struggle better than the amazing cast of Parks and Recreation. 

First, the temperatures first start to drop…

So you make your final Dave and Andy’s trips in preparation for the frozen tundra that you will inevitably have to endure…

You start to feel lazy and tired.

This, plus being being COMPLETELY terrified of the paralyzing cold makes it really hard to stick to any New Year’s resolutions.

…Of course when you do brave the ice and snow (assuming you can muster up the will-power to get out of bed and show up to class), you’re always astounded by that one dude in shorts, who just refuses to let summer go.

Then the weekend comes. We all have that one friend who will try to convince us to do ridiculous things like “drop the oreos” or worse, “put something cute on, be social,” and *gasp* “go out…”

If you do decide to go out, by the time you have enough alcohol in your system to soften the excruciating cold, all of the Oakland bars that DON’T completely suck are totally packed, and you’re stuck waiting outside. ‘

By next weekend you’ve learned better than to succumb to peer pressure, and your social life slowly dissolves into a vicious combination of Netflix and wine. 

You’re doing OK for a while… until about the fourth consecutive sunshine-free week, at which point you might start to lose all hope…

…But just as things are starting to look really bleak…

Spring finally arrives and the days of hangin’ out in Schenley Plaza and drinking on the porch are among us once again.

Photo Credit: 1

Hey, I'm Leah! I am originally from Jerusalem, Israel. Right now, I am a student at the University of Pittsburgh double majoring in French and Psychology. I am totally passionate about languages. My hobbies include drawing elaborate pictures with markers on white boards, searching for quotes by my favorite authors and writers, cooking, and dancing SALSA.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt