Why Jews Eat Fish Heads (and other Rosh Hashanah Mysteries)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Let me begin with the following disclaimer: like any broad generalization, the whole fish-eating thing is somewhat of an archaic tradition that really only applies to a specific population of Jewish people called “Ashkenazim.” Ashkenazi Jews (like me) have roots emanating from Eastern Europe. Rosh Hashana traditions vary from family to family depending on everything from cultural heritage to communal rituals. Ultimately though, it all comes down to three things: celebrating the Jewish New Year, enjoying the company of friends and family, and eating copious amounts of FOOD. While the traditional Ashkenazi fish head certainly isn’t my personal favorite, there is some symbolism behind the (so-called) delicacy. “We should be the head on not the tail.” Thus goes the phrase that explains the mystery, and it actually makes a whole lot of sense in the context of the holiday.

“Rosh Hashanah” literally means the HEAD of the year. So everything surrounding the Jewish High Holy day is centered upon rejuvenation. A fresh start. A fish-head, if you will. The holiday is brimming with symbols, which together comprise the essence of Rosh Hashanah. Red pomegranates represent fertility. Apples dipped in honey – my personal favorite – are emblematic of a sweet new year. Of course, these symbols are hardly limited to food. Perhaps those of you who are as obsessed with Netflix’s newest rendition of Wet Hot American Summer as I am may recall this scene: Donna, camp Firewood’s own femme fatale, bestows the gift of the shofar upon Coop (and to his heartbreak, to all of the other counselors as well). The entire camp then proceeds to engage in an epic sort of shofar-sword fighting dual. Well, I regret to say, no such event occurs on Rosh Hashana – at least not at any synagogue that I’ve been to. Nonetheless, the Shofar – a hollowed out rams horn – is one of the most emblematic symbols of the Jewish New Year. It is blown at various times throughout the course of the holiday, totaling an impressive 100 by the end.

While Rosh Hashana is a time for festivity, it’s important to acknowledge that there is definitely a degree of somberness associated with the celebration. It’s dawn marks the first of the nine holiest days in the Jewish calendar. These nine days, referred to as “the days of awe,” culminate in what is considered to be the most serious day of the Jewish year: Yom Kippur, the Day of Judgment. It is believed that during these early fall days, god makes the ultimate decision of – to put it blatantly – “who shall live, and who shall die.” It’s kind of like the Jewish version of Santa’s naughty and nice list… only like, a million times more intense. Of course, as in any religion, the liturgical aspects of Rosh Hashana are up to interpretation and largely subjective. Personally, I see the holiday as a time for reflection. More than that, a spiritual cleanse. 

Much like the Gregorian New Year, Rosh Hashanah is a time for resolutions. Something significant about the Jewish tradition, however, is that it emphasizes a certain kind of “letting go of the past” that is an essential part of embracing a new future. This idea is best encompassed by the ritual of “tashlich,” which occurs on the first day of the holiday. During this time, it is customary for Jewish people to gather around a body of water, and to symbolically cast their sins away with rocks or pebbles. It is a deeply moving experience that could be meaningful, I think, to both Jews and non-Jews alike. The importance of parting from certain elements of the past as we embark toward the future surpasses any religious context. Don’t we all sometimes wish we could hit the reset button?

On that note, Shanah Tovah – Happy New Year – one and all.

Image Credit: 1 and 2 provided by author, 3 provided by Emily Kearns

Hey, I'm Leah! I am originally from Jerusalem, Israel. Right now, I am a student at the University of Pittsburgh double majoring in French and Psychology. I am totally passionate about languages. My hobbies include drawing elaborate pictures with markers on white boards, searching for quotes by my favorite authors and writers, cooking, and dancing SALSA.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt