Why It’s Okay to Not Have Any Guy Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Throughout my life, I’ve never been the girl to have a ton of guy friends. I’ve had one or two over the years, but none that were ever too close to me. Usually they were my female friends’ friends, and so they would happen upon my inner circle every so often. I am not good at making friends in general, and when you throw guys into the mix, it’s a whole different game. I never know what to talk to them about. What are sports? Why are they always punching each other? Male friendship is a distant planet that I can admire from afar, but have no interest in visiting, and I am perfectly fine with that.

For one, I have plenty of friends that are girls to fill up my social life, which is almost nonexistent considering that I’m an introvert. There are two people in my life who I would consider my best friends, and I don’t even talk to them every day. I have other friends that I see all the time, but don’t really know on a personal level. It may sound harsh, but meeting new people means that I have to do more things. I simply do not enjoy being around large groups of people, so I am fine with having a small circle of friends that I can count on to be there for me. In all honesty, I don’t need a guy friend.

Secondly, I have a boyfriend, which is way better than a regular guy friend. Having a boyfriend means that I have someone to share everything with, someone who loves me unconditionally and is there for me at my brightest and darkest moments. You can do couple-y stuff with your guy friends, but that gets messy. Someone’s feelings are going to end up hurt, and it’s most likely that your friendship will end up ruined. When you’re in an actual relationship, those boundaries aren’t there.

Finally, I’m just not a “one-of-the-guys” kind of girl. I’m not super girly or anything, but I’m just not good at talking to guys about “guy” things. I don’t play video games, watch sports or action movies, and quite frankly those things bore me. This doesn’t mean that my boyfriend and I have nothing to talk about; we actually have quite a lot in common. It’s different when you love someone; you’re willing to sit next to them for hours while they scream at the TV and not want to pull your hair out. If I was forced to socialize with male friends in that way, let’s just say that we would not be very good friends.

If you’re a girl who has a lot of guy friends, that is okay! Some girls are more extroverted and comfortable talking to anyone. I, on the other hand, only feel comfortable being myself around people I already know fairly well. It takes time to become good friends with someone, and I’ve just never been able to reach that level with a guy. However, I have accepted my social awkwardness. I have my one guy in my life, and I don’t need anymore. Even if I didn’t have a boyfriend, I wouldn’t need any guy friends. My girl friends are awesome and they understand me; I wouldn’t want it any other way.

Photo Credit: 1, 2

Sophomore at Pitt studying Communication Science and Disorders, with a leaning towards speech pathology. This is my first year with Her Campus, and I am excited to see what it will bring!
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt