Why I Started Listening To Podcasts, And You Should Too!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

I used to be a victim of spending hours of my day, scrolling mindlessly on TikTok. I spent so much time watching “Get Ready with Me” videos, hauls and storytimes that I did not want to complete any simple task without constant stimulation. I had TikTok playing in the background while I folded my laundry, cleaned my room, ate my breakfast and waited for the elevator. Every task on my to-do list took way longer than it should have because I was more focused on the tiny voice playing out of my phone than I was on the task at hand. 

There came I point where I realized I was addicted to being constantly stimulated and decided I needed a habit change. I am not a big New Year’s resolution girl, but in January 2024, I put a time limit on TikTok and started something new: podcasts!

I randomly stumbled across Emma Chamberlain’s podcast, “Anything Goes”, one snowy, January day at the gym, and listened to it for the duration of my time there. My workout went by so much faster than when I would listen to music or watch a TV show, and this was the start of a healthier habit! I started to listen to podcasts more and more, exploring all of the artists and episodes that Spotify has to offer. 

Now, when I need to get my housekeeping chores done, walk or run on the treadmill, go to the gym to lift, or am at the dining hall, I let my podcast play instead of keeping my head down to scroll on TikTok. Though I know that this is still constant stimulation in a sense, I find it significantly easier to be productive when I listen to a recording and have my hands and eyes free, rather than having to watch the visual portion to follow along. 

An observation I made since listening to podcasts is that my overall screen time has decreased. I find that once I start scrolling or poking around on my phone, time flies; it is so difficult to turn off my phone and continue with my day. Though podcasts are engaging and I enjoy them, I find it so much easier to press that pause button when my task is complete, or it is time to move on to something else. I am happy to pick up where I left off, and do not have to worry about losing my place!

Overall, I have found podcasts to be an engaging way to increase productivity, decrease screen time, and stay alert when wandering the city!

Julia Kahn is a freshman at the University of Pittsburgh and a first year member of University of Pittsburgh's chapter of Her Campus. She enjoys writing about a multitude of topics, specifically health and wellness, opinion pieces, book reviews, and tips for exploring the city (coming from someone who is also excited to explore a new city!). She plans to major in Media and Professional Communications with a certificate in Public and Professional Writing on the Law and Criminal Justice track. She also is a part of the David C. Frederick Honors College! She hopes to attend law school and become a lawyer someday. A few other fun facts about Julia are that she has two dogs, Leo and Snickers, who she misses so much while at college. She has been to Peru on a trip with her Spanish program, and hopes to visit Italy, Spain, and France in the next few years. Her favorite book series always has been (and always will be) Harry Potter, but has recently enjoyed "Heart Bones", "Gone Girl", and "Verity". A few of Julia's hobbies include playing tennis, hiking, playing the piano, going for hot girl walks, and spending time with her family and friends. A few of her favorite shows and movies are "Gilmore Girls", "Gossip Girl", the "Back to the Future" movie trilogy, "The Age of Adeline", and "Mean Girls".