Why I Don’t have a New Year’s Resolution

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Most people start the new year with a resolution to improve some aspect of their life. These resolutions often have positive intentions, whether it be working out every day, studying more, being more honest, you name it. However, I didn’t make a New Year’s resolution this year, and I won’t continue to make them.

First of all, I don’t believe in waiting until January 1st to improve a part of my life. If it’s important, I should begin working on it the minute I think of it. If on July 6th I feel like I need to eat healthier, I will do so right then. If on December 27th I want to spend more time with my friends, I’ll plan a get together that day. Allowing myself to wait until January only gives way to procrastination. By the time New Year’s comes around, I’m less passionate about what I wanted to work on, and I’m already used to putting it off.

Along with not waiting until the new year, sometimes I need to improve multiple things about myself at the same time; A New Year’s resolution would pin me down to one thing. For example, I can try to be less judgmental, while staring a new yoga class and reading more books. Besides, people often feel bad when they drop their New Year’s resolution, but with multiple things to improve, if I drop one, I feel less bad dropping it because it’s not the only thing I’m working on.

Speaking of dropping a New Year’s resolution, it happens to so many people for so many reasons. The new year puts a pressure on me to keep at it, which actually is less productive for me because it makes my resolution a chore. When I’m not constrained by time, I actually stick to it longer, and it becomes a habit in my life. Also, if I end up not following through with it for a full year, I don’t feel as if I failed, so I feel more comfortable picking the habit back up later on.

Aside from the prior reasons, here is the most important reason I don’t have a resolution: New Year’s resolutions set me up to compare myself to others. Almost everyone has a New Year’s resolution, so people talk about it. I feel bad if I can’t keep up with my resolution, but one of my friends is still going strong with hers. Or if I hear my friend dropped hers, I feel less bad about not keeping up with mine. When I work on my life during the year, I don’t talk about it with others. I just do it.

Now, the reasons I’ve stated above are personal choices that work for me. If you like having a New Year’s resolution, then by all means I encourage you to have one. However, if my reasoning appeals to you, I encourage you to stop making those New Year’s resolutions and keeping up a continuous effort to improve your life.

Photo Credit:

1

Kelly is the President/ Campus Correspondent at HC Pitt. She is a senior double majoring in English writing and communication rhetoric while pursuing a certificate in digital media. Writing has always been a passion of hers, and she hopes to work in book publishing and a best-selling author one day. She works as a tutor at Pitt's Writing Center and an intern at Creative Media Agency Inc. In her free time, she works on her novel, reads stacks of books and explores Pittsburgh with her friends.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt