Wellness > Mental Health

Why deleting TikTok was the best thing i ever did for my mental health

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

TikTok, the app that needs no introduction, is one of the most popular social media platforms in the world. It’s hard to find someone today who doesn’t use it. Honestly, until a few months ago, I could never have imagined not being on TikTok. It bookended my day. Wake up in the morning, go on TikTok. Take a break between classes, go on TikTok. Eat a meal, go on TikTok. Fall asleep with phone in hand while the same nine-second clip plays on a loop. Repeat.

When I finally deleted TikTok, it wasn’t because I saw some shocking, terrible video that snapped me out of it. (Don’t get me wrong, there is no shortage of shocking and terrible videos on TikTok—no, I saw all the horrible things, but I, like many other TikTok users, simply got used to seeing them.) The last TikTok I ever saw was pretty mundane. A person stared into the camera with mock intensity while a pop song played in the background. The caption read, “PEOPLE I WILL NEVER TRUST…” After a few seconds, the caption changed to, “PEOPLE WHO FLOSS.” The video itself wasn’t inherently upsetting, other than the fact that it made me question the creator’s dental hygiene. What freaked me out was that, when I saw the video, I was alone in my bathroom, in the middle of flossing.

It’s no secret that TikTok analyzes its users. Sure, it’s possible that it was a simple coincidence that I saw a video about flossing while I happened to be flossing. But as any veteran TikTok user will tell you, these “coincidences” happen way too often. Frankly, being analyzed is just part of being online these days. But the problem with the way TikTok analyzes its users is that it reflects everything back to you, the good and the bad. And when it knows everything about you, it’s a recipe for some serious issues.

Maybe you mentioned to your friend recently that you’re interested in learning to crochet. Well, TikTok heard it, and now you’re going to see videos of artists teaching you how to crochet. Cool! Maybe you were also having a tough day with your body image, and later that night, you googled a bunch of pictures of Kendall Jenner in a bikini and then you cried in front of the mirror. Well, TikTok heard it, and now you’re going to see videos of Instagram models teaching you how to get your dream body in three weeks or die trying. Not so cool.

As for how TikTok learns about you, the app’s executives have only officially admitted to using analytics within the app, such as keeping track of what videos a user likes and comments on. However, the platform has come under international scrutiny for allegedly using much more far-reaching tactics and for having possible ties to the Chinese government. In short, there’s a lot we don’t know about how videos are recommended and what motives may be behind these recommendations.

As shady as TikTok’s methods may seem, they work… sometimes a little too well. Because TikTok is a recommendation-first platform, there is very little cognitive load involved for the user. You don’t have to make any decisions because they’re already made for you. This ease of use, coupled with the spurts of dopamine your brain receives from the short, exciting videos, makes for a highly addictive combination. Maybe on the surface, you don’t want to see videos that make you feel worse about yourself, but psychologically, you crave more and more.

In the months after deleting TikTok, I began to notice that I felt happier and more relaxed. Insecurities I once had about obscure features of my appearance melted away, and I once again learned to appreciate myself for who I am. I found myself enjoying shows, music and books that I used to like, because I once again had the attention span to devote my energy to them. Now, this isn’t to say that TikTok is all bad and you should delete it right this second. The app can be a way for people to make connections, find out about new interests or even just zone out after a long day. But every once in a while, it’s good to remember that it’s an algorithm, a machine specifically designed to make you come back for more at any cost, even if it’s not in your best interest.

Elizabeth is a senior at Pitt majoring in English Writing and French. When she's not writing for hc, Elizabeth likes cooking, spending time with friends, and exploring Pittsburgh's cultural side.