Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Why Balance is Important to Any Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

When it comes to new relationships, most women tend to give up parts of themselves to satisfy their counterpart. In the beginning, we make excuses and say that in order to have a good relationship, we have to give 110% or else the other person will think we don’t care. This mindset is the furthest thing from the truth and will end up causing more harm to yourself than anyone else.

In order to be in a healthy relationship, you need to establish the difference of doing something that will help both parties from acting only in the interest of the other party. When you continue to give your all to someone, they begin to expect that as the norm. You lose your balance and connection with yourself and this often results in an imbalance in effort and someone being treated poorly.

As this becomes the norm, the other person either believes that anything you do that deviates from this pattern is wrong or even worse; they begin to take your efforts for granted and don’t see why you may want the same in return. Giving so much of yourself up to get nothing in return leaves you empty and feeling that you’ve lost yourself. Losing yourself to please someone else is the worst thing to do for your mental health and general happiness in life. When you prioritize someone else over yourself, you forget that the only person whose well-being matters is your own.

Finding a balance within yourself can make a difference in your life. Once you begin to devote equal or more time to yourself than others will you truly realize what you deserve in a relationship. Knowing what you need is what gaps getting what you want with getting what is healthiest for you.

After recognizing your needs, you’ll be able to ask for them to be met and if your partner can’t, then it leaves you with the knowledge you’ve done all you can and that you aren’t being treated how you should. This can only happen when you learn to incorporate a balance of time and energy in your life and relationships – the rest will come easily when you are able to be more in tune with yourself.

Photo credit: 1

Emma is a sophomore at the University of Pittsburgh studying communication and political science. She is originally from Wyomissing, Pennsylvania aka Taylor Swift's hometown. In her free time, Emma is a member of Theta Phi Alpha and serves as their junior Panhellenic rep, as well as a member of the Pink Campus Team. She enjoys listening to music, watching movies, reading, writing, and going to the gym.