When Did Fall Become the Boyfriend Season?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Fall is one of my favorite times of the year. Not only do I get to wear my Frye boots twenty four-seven, I also get to drink all of the pumpkin spice lattes my heart desires. However, as soon as the leaves change colors and the tans start to fade, girls seem to obsess over wanting one thing: a boyfriend. For some reason, girls seem to overlook how ridiculously annoying boys can be and decide that they just need to have one of their own. So, what exactly is it that makes girls desperate for a boyfriend in the fall? 

I’ll be the first to admit it: I am one of these girls. Though I complain about wanting a boyfriend all the time, it seems to be ten times more this season. Watching shows such as One Tree Hill and Friday Night Lights has taught me that the fall + sports equals a boyfriend. These programs teach girls that there is nothing better than having a boy who plays football- such as Matt Saracen in Friday Night Lights. With a boy like Matt, not only do you have an amazingly attractive guy, but also one who is sensitive and is the starting quarterback. Honestly, what more could you ask for? And don’t even get me started on Nathan Scott. Girls just love the thought of changing a bad boy into the perfect boyfriend. One Tree Hill is basically the reason why so many girls expected so much out of their love lives at the age of 14. If only I could tell my high school self what I know now. 

Not only is there an in-your-face nature of relationships in the media, but this also exists right in front of you. Literally. I can’t begin to count how many couples I have walked behind or seen in passing these past few weeks since the season has really started. They are everywhere. I can’t even walk to the library without having to encounter a couple displaying quite a bit of PDA on the steps. As if the thought of the piles of homework I’m on my way to do wasn’t bad enough. I know I sound like the typical bitter and single girl, but that’s partially because I am a bitter single girl… sometimes. For already existing couples, fall is a time when couple-related activities increase to an all-time high. During this time of loneliness, the single girls could use some consideration. On behalf of the single girl community, save your extremely public (yet really cute) displays of affection this fall for later.

Doing fall activities just isn’t as fun without having a special someone to do them with. Pumpkin picking? It would be so much cuter if I had a boyfriend to do it with! Eating pumpkin pie? It would taste so much better if I had a boyfriend to eat it with! You get my point. Just the thought of doing such activities with a boyfriend is enough to get us by… almost. Don’t even get me started on cuddling. I don’t think a night passes during the fall months where at least one girl doesn’t tweet about wanting a cuddle buddy.

I have always been taught that you should never depend on someone else for your own happiness (this person was obviously not single in the fall). However, although it is extremely hard to not wish for that certain someone with every 11:11 wish you make (trust me, I know the struggle), use this time of being single to focus on yourself. The idea of having a boyfriend is great, but it is a lot of work. How could you possibly study for finals when you have a boy around? Talk about distracting. The right guy will come along when you’re not looking. And I’m sure we all know by now that nothing ever happens when you go looking for it. As cliché as this may sound, (and though I cringe every time I hear it) it’s true. So for now, enjoy your countless pumpkin spice lattes and know that you will not be single forever. 

Photo Credit

Hi! I'm Jessie and I am currently dual majoring in communication and non-fiction writing at The University of Pittsburgh. I am also the Senior Editor for Pitt's Her Campus! I emulate everything Carrie Bradshaw and can watch Breakfast At Tiffany's everyday for the rest of my life. You can usually find me blasting country music a little too loud while wearing a floppy hat.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt