This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Do you want to relax after midterms but don’t know what to turn on? We’re here to help! In our free time, HC Pitt loves to unwind by watching both old and new TV shows/movies. I’ve compiled a list of everything our members have been watching so you know what to (or not) watch next!

Alison, Editor

TV Show: The Bear

I highly recommend it! I started watching it because it won a bunch of awards and I wanted to check it out! It’s a nice blend of comedy and drama and doesn’t take a lot of effort to enjoy (also Ayo Edebiri, I love you).

Movie: Past Lives

Amazing! I saw it at the AMC at the Waterfront and I was emotional. It’s an excellent dedication to the people you won’t meet and the stories you won’t live. 

Lauren, President

TV Show: House of the Dragon

I am absolutely, positively obsessed. I’ve never seen Game of Thrones and started watching this because I felt like I could better commit to one season (and the second one coming soon!) during the school year. I’m about halfway through this and truly cannot get enough of it! Alicent and Rhaenyra are everything to me and I cannot wait to watch more. 

Movie: Hairspray (1988)

I watched this for my Gender & Film class and loved it! It’s honestly so much better and campier than the remake (which I also love).

Amy, Writer

TV Show: Psych

I absolutely love this show. I’ve watched it before but am rewatching it because it’s such a comfort show for me. It’s super cheesy, witty and nostalgic. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a good show to binge or even to have on in the background while doing work/getting ready.

Movie: Saltburn

I wanted to watch it to see what all the hype was about, but it was honestly really disappointing. Sienna’s review of the movie here pretty much sums up how I felt about it as well.

Julia, writer

TV Show: Only Murders in the Building

I’m at the beginning of season three and I think this season is not that good! I loved seasons one and two because they were so easy/quick to watch, but this one is not as engaging.

Movie: You Are So Not Invited To My Bat Mitzvah

It was so funny and lighthearted! I would definitely recommend it if you are in the mood for a laugh but don’t mind a little cringey-ness.

Kat, Writer

TV Show: Bojack Horseman

I’m on my third or fourth rewatch of it. If you love morally gray characters you need to watch this show right now. One second, a character is getting into a wacky situation, and the next, that person is contemplating their morality. It’s really clever and totally worth the watch. The first episode is kind of a drag but I promise it gets better!

Movie: Deadpool

My boyfriend made me watch it (hi Tony!) and although I usually hate superhero (or superhero-adjacent) movies, this one wasn’t half bad. The humor was clever and the plot was really deep and kept me hooked. I will say it fails the Bechdel test though, so take that as you will. 

Emma, Writer

TV Show: Abbott Elementary

I really like it so far! It’s not as laugh-out-loud funny as other sitcoms I’ve seen, but the fun relationships between the characters are what keep me coming back. I’m a little bit through season two, and I don’t love it as much as the first one, but there is a third season currently airing!

Movie: Shiva Baby

This was one of the most anxiety-inducing movies I’ve ever watched. Everything that could go bad did, but it is pretty short. This is the same director who did Bottoms, which is why I watched it in the first place because Emma Seligman and Rachel Sennott are a great team. I would definitely recommend it but know that you’re getting into something crazy.

I hope you found some new recommendations or learned a little bit more about what our members love to watch!

Emma is a first-year student at the University of Pittsburgh. She is a new staff member of the Pitt chapter, and enjoys writing about pop culture, music, tv/movies, and food. She is majoring in Anthropology and currently looking into a minor in Gender, Sexuality, and Women's Studies. She is also a Chancellor's Scholar through the Honors College. Emma is interested in foodways and the cultural artifacts associated with food production, and plans to research cultural food knowledge in a study abroad program. In the past, she was Business Editor-in-Chief of her high school’s yearbook and wants to bring her communication and leadership skills to Her Campus. Emma is also a member of the Anthropology Club and Eat @ Pitt. In her free time, Emma loves to read, play guitar, cook, hang out with friends, and obsess over anything Taylor Swift related.