What I’ve Learned at 19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

For most, nineteen may not be a big year, but for me it was a particularly interesting one. Up until now, I’ve learned so much from parents, friends, and my own experiences, that I can say I’m much more of an adult now than I was when I turned eighteen. Here are a few tidbits of wisdom I’ve come across in my nineteen years.

Don’t sweat the small stuff.

I’ve always been a “don’t worry, be happy” kinda girl, but so far I’ve learned to pick and choose things that are actually worthy of stress. Since realizing this, I find I have more energy and am even more laidback than I’ve ever been.

Be thankful.

Being an American college-aged kid, I tend to forget how great I have it. Attending a university to study whatever I want is the opportunity of a lifetime, and sadly it’s one that many young women my age could only dream of having. I have a wonderful family, a full belly, and a healthy body and spirit, which is more than enough to be grateful for.

Be gracious.

In a society where being a “bad b&*ch” is considered a high honor, I’ve instead realized that treating others the way you wanted to be treated is much more fulfilling. Putting a smile on someone’s face with a compliment or even just by asking how they’re doing will not only make their day brighter, but yours as well.

Be respectful.

Having reverence for others as well as yourself is the best advice I could give to anyone my age. Although sometimes our culture can be a bit sexist, it is important to know your self-worth and behave accordingly. There is no one in the world as unique as you. The sooner we realize how valuable we are, the sooner we can see value in the people around us.

Hopefully, these things I’ve learned could be helpful to any collegiate. I’m sure you’ll put these tips to good use and be an inspiration to others!

Photo Credit: Google Images

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt