We Stand With Kesha

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

On Friday, February 19th, Manhattan Supreme Court Justice, Shirley Kornreich, denied Kesha’s request to be released from her contract with Sony. This ruling will keep Kesha bound in a contract for the production of six more albums and will continue to link her to producer Dr. Luke, who Kesha claims assaulted her physically, sexually and emotionally. In addition, Kesha’s career has been in limbo since 2014, when she first filed the lawsuit against Dr. Luke. This ruling will set her back even further.

Kesha breaks down after hearing the ruling is in favor of Sony

Why is the court ruling in favor of Sony when Kesha claims that Dr. Luke forced her to snort drugs that caused her to blackout as he raped her for years? According to the New York Daily News, “Judge Kornreich said Sony would suffer irreparable harm if Kesha was not compelled to abide by a contract that requires her to make six more albums with the company.” Okay so Sony would lose money, but it is ridiculous for a multi-million dollar company to be worried about losing one of their clients when it is causing Kesha irreparable damage from having to deal with this traumatizing experience. Kesha needs to heal; putting her entire career on hold is only hurting her further.

Not only does this ruling affect Kesha, but it is also a tremendous step back for women everywhere. To have Kesha speak out as a wealthy, famous, white female and to have the court deny her claims speaks volumes to the justice system. It often takes years for a woman to feel comfortable reporting that she has been sexually assaulted. Victims then have to recount their stories over and over again, which can be extremely painful. The whole process is emotionally trying. Furthermore, to have a justice system that does not protect women from their rapists is tremendously frightening. Kesha is incredibly brave to speak out about her experience and to attempt to seek justice. It is extremely disheartening that the outcome is not in her favor. This whole situation sheds light on why sexual assault and rape are the most underreported crimes in America.

Kesha’s fans have stood behind her throughout the whole process by making the hashtag #freekesha become viral. One fan is now calling for a boycott on Sony products through Change.org. Even celebrities are standing behind Kesha. Pop singer, Hasley, dedicated her song “Hold Me Down” to Kesha at her concert in Scotland on Friday night. Other celebrities such as Lady Gaga, Kelly Clarkson and many more are also speaking out over social media.

We, the members of Her Campus at the University of Pittsburgh, stand in solidarity with Kesha. Sexual assault and rape are not a joke. Hopefully justice is served, so Kesha can get the closure she needs and is able to continue using her talents to create music.

Photo credit: 1, 2

Source: NY Daily News

Junior Fiction Writing and English Literature double majors Italian Studies minor Fun facts: I love all things Italy! My last name even means bread and my friends call me toast. My spirit animals are unicorns, mermaids or Hello Kitty(:
Katie handles the day-to-day management, development and expansion of our chapter network to ensure that our on-campus presence is stronger than ever. She recently graduated from the University of Pittsburgh, where she studied Nonfiction Writing and Communication. Her extensive Her Campus background dates back to 2012 and she has since held the position of Campus Correspondent and Chapter Advisor. When Katie isn’t watching the Pittsburgh Penguins, you can find her trying new restaurants, obsessing over her long list of shows (The O.C., Scandal and Gilmore Girls are top picks) or setting out to find the perfect donut.