“The Umbrella Academy” Pours in Good Reviews

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

It’s been about a week since I devoured The Umbrella Academy in a single day. Now that I have had time to process, I have a lot of questions. *SPOILERS AHEAD*. If you haven’t seen it yet, stop reading this article immediately, open Netflix, and put The Umbrella Academy on your screen instead. You won’t regret it.

For those who haven’t seen it yet are still daring to read further, The Umbrella Academy depicts a family of seven adopted children, all of whom have special superhero-esque abilities. All, that is, but one. Throughout the years, the children have become estranged, both from their father, Reginald Hargreeves, and from each other. Yet when their father dies, and a long-missing sibling reappears, they are charged not only with finding out the truth of the mysterious circumstances of their father’s death, but with finding a way to stop the apocalypse. This show is packed with attitude and suspense, and complex characters you can’t help but love (and hate). It’s a strange little dark comedy, and I for one cannot wait until season two.

With the mystery and all, I am left with a ton of questions driving me crazy. For instance: What happened to Ben? Where are the rest of the gifted children Reginald didn’t collect? What point in time are the Hargreeves siblings traveling to? Why did Number Five never get a real name? Why does no one listen to Allison? When will Luther shut up about the moon?

I need answers, as soon as possible, and despite countless discussions with my roommates swapping theories, I don’t believe I’m any closer to finding them. And yet, the madness is all worth it.

Keeping in theme with the mashing up and manipulation of time, despite the present (or at least near future) placement of the story, the soundtrack jumps around to various hits throughout the decades. This often results in simultaneously comical and gruesome fight scenes, and of course, one of the best dance scenes in cinematic history.

And again, the characters are incredible. The seven children are all unique, my personal favorites of course being Klaus and Number Five. Klaus’ power has driven him to drown out the world with drugs and alcohol, leaving no one to really take him seriously, though he is one of the most abused of all the children. He’s seen true horrors and been through some deep sh*t, and yet he keeps his sense of humor, and when it comes down to it, is just as crucial of a team member as the rest of the siblings. Not to mention his love story. Unmatched. 

Number Five was lost in the future, forced to endure the aftermath of the apocalypse alone for decades, and when he finally masters the time travel that will return him to his family, he emerges in the present with the consciousness of a 58-year-old man, and the body of a 13-year-old boy. He’s blunt, independent, and determined to save the world, and to remind everyone he’s smarter and better than they are at any given moment.

I could host a Ted Talk full of reasons to watch this show. Great cast, great music, a plot to keep you hitting next episode over and over until you’re finished, some well-placed romances to keep your heart whole and just the right amount of plot twist to leave you sufficiently shook. But don’t just take my word for it. If you haven’t already, see it for yourself. And if you have, watch it again. I know I am.

Kate is the Vice President of Her Campus at Pitt. She is currently a senior at the University of Pittsburgh, pursuing a double major in Non-Fiction English Writing and Psychology. You can probably find her wasting her money on concert tickets, drinking obscene amounts of Starbucks coffee, or effortlessly (and endlessly) quoting John Mulaney.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt