Like This? Try That: Music Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Need inspiration for your November playlist? Look no further. Here are some modern musical gems akin to your popular favorites.

Like Vampire Weekend and Passion Pit?

Try Bibio. Bibio experiments with electronic beats and a fun pop feel without straying too far into avant-garde territory. Right now I’m obsessed with “Lovers’ Carvings” and “Anything New.”

Like Macklemore and Bruno Mars?

Try Rizzle Kicks. This duo is fresh off the stage from touring with Ed Sheeran and performing in the 2013 Glastonbury Festival. In September they released their sophomore album Roaring 20s. The tropical vibes of “When I Was A Youngster” are infectious.

Like Coldplay and Bon Iver?

Try Volcano Choir. Justin Vernon- the musical genius behind Bon Iver, along with the members of Collections of Colonies of Bees started to collaborate in 2005 under the name Volcano Choir. Their new self-produced album Repave was just recently released. Check out the songs “Alaskans” and “Byegone.”

Like Ellie Goulding and Lana del Rey?

Try Lorde. You can’t escape Lorde’s reign—over the music charts that is. Lorde’s fresh alterna-pop sound has everyone buzzing; and she proved her new queen bee status by becoming the youngest artist since 1987 to hit #1 on the Billboard Hot 100. Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you’ve probably heard “Royals,” so go ahead and listen to “Ribs,” “Team,” and “A World Alone.”

Like Of Monsters & Men and Florence + the Machine?

Try Daughter. This London trio slowly but surely made a name for themselves in the indie rock sphere. Nothing beats their earthy vocals and mellow instrumentals on a rainy day. I love “Youth,” and their song “Touch” was just featured in an episode of MTV’s Teen Wolf.

Photo Credit: Volcano Choir, Lorde, Bibio, Rizzle Kicks, Daughter

Maddie is an 18 year old freshman at the University of Pittsburgh who is incredibly excited to spend her next four years here. When she's not obsessing over her favorite band of the week, she's obsessing over feminism, obsessing over big sweaters, or obsessing over where to find the best chai lattes within a 5 mile radius. You can follow her personal twitter at @mmoconn! 
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt