This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

On January 15th, 2018, Dolores O’Riordan, the lead singer of The Cranberries, passed away at the age of 46.

I was scrolling through Twitter when I saw the news:

My first time hearing Dolores O’Riordan’s voice was unforgettable. It threw into question what a voice could sound like in that context of Rock. I’d never heard somebody use their instrument in that way. Shocked and saddened to hear of her passing, thoughts are with her family.

— Hozier (@Hozier) January 15, 2018

I immediately opened a playlist of her songs and listened to her voice—the voice that had provided solace in my, and I’m sure others’, toughest moments. Logging onto Facebook, news of her passing was being shared on the pages of not the generation who grew up with her music, but among my friends and younger people alike. Dolores O’Riordan and her music have had such an effect on rock music and on the lives of so many struggling people. She will be greatly missed. This one’s for you:

1. Zombie

2. Dreams

A love ballad for the ages.

3. Ode to My Family

There’s a lot of debate as to what this one actually means, but the feeling of finding yourself and trying to show it to other people is something very relatable.

4. Tomorrow

One of The Cranberries’ newer pieces, the more upbeat nature of this song and lyrics makes it feel like Dolores is counseling you personally.

5. Linger

Another very popular song, “Linger” is the perfect background song for processing anger and hurt.

6. No Need to Argue

https://www.youtube.com/embed/P_37AVnrqG0

It feels only right to conclude with this song which features her voice above anything else.

She will be deeply missed.

Image Sources: 1, 2

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt