Trendy Winter Accessories to Keep You Warm Around Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Looking cute and staying warm may be a challenge for some of us in Pittsburgh, especially when it’s negative 15 degrees outside with a wind chill. It’s not easy to determine exactly which accessories are worth splurging for on a college girl’s budget. But, with my help and the following list I compiled, you can decide which trendy accessories suit your winter needs.

1. Boots

There are a few different types of boots to choose from, depending on your personal style and preference.  I would recommend either chic, rubber rain boots or the basic snow boot to keep your feet cozy at all times. Rain boots are great because they make it easy to trek through the slush without getting your feet wet.  But, snow boots might be a better option for those looking to protect the whole body from declining temperatures. Below are just two options that make staying stylish and warm no-brainers. However, with a little research, it wouldn’t be hard to find more affordable choices.

Ilse Jacobsen Rubber Boots – $199

Sorel Snow Boots – $170

2. Capes

This could be a new addition to your winter wardrobe this year if you want to steer away from the typical infinity scarf or blanket scarf. A cape could be categorized as an alternative to a coat, perhaps for those not-so-cold days. They have a similar look to a wrap blanket.  Boohoo has an amazing selection with affordable prices. Check out my picks below:

Boohoo Leah Reversible Check Cape – $44

Boohoo Alice Check Boarder Blanket Cape – $30

3. Basic Beanie

Thick, well-made beanies can make a huge difference in keeping your ears warm. No one enjoys suffering from earaches after not having a cute beanie to throw on before walking to class. Luckily, beanies are usually “one size fits all,” so you don’t need to take the time to try them on. Simply do a Google search and place an online order. Here are some of my favorites:

Free People Fireside Knit Beani – $48

Free People Powder River Palm Beanie – $48

4. Gloves

Gloves are essential winter accessories for Pittsburgh weather. Everyone should own a decent pair of gloves that will last through a couple seasons. There are so many types of gloves, including leather, fingerless, and tech-savy. Even if you are more into mittens, there are gloves that have mitten attachments. If you don’t buy any other winter accessories this year, at least get a pair of gloves that you will enjoy. Keeping your hands warm is a must; frostbite is not cute (or enjoyable)!

Raised by Wolves Atwater Fingerless Gloves – $40

Madewell Ribbed Texting Gloves – $35

5. Oversized Earmuffs

Put a spin on regular-sized earmuffs by going for oversized ones this winter. Oversized everything has been an ongoing trend for a couple of years now, so why not extend it to accessories, too? If you’re not into hats or beanies to keep your head warm, this could be the perfect option for you.

Free People Oversized Earmuff – $28

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt