This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Rory Gilmore is one of the biggest bibliophiles on the face of the planet. She’s the girl who carried twelve books while she backpacked through Europe, stressed out about not being able to read all the thousands of volumes of books in the Harvard library and paid a guy to move when he was sitting under her favorite reading tree. If you are a book lover like Rory (even if you aren’t quite as intense) you are probably always looking for a book recommendation, especially now as the air is getting cooler and you want to spend time under the covers with a good book. Here is a list of some of the best Rory-approved books mentioned in Gilmore Girls!

1. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J.K. Rowling

Potterhead’s rejoice, Rory is one of us!

2. Swann’s Way by Marcel Proust

This is the book Max Medina gave Lorelei when they were dating and Rory was shocked that her mother was taking on such a challenge (having already read this classic). It definitely isn’t light reading, but if you can get past the first sentence, (which is 20 pages long) I commend you!

3. Franny and Zooey by J.D. Salinger

You are probably familiar with J. D. Salinger’s most popular book, The Catcher in the Rye, but this one is just as good, if not better! There are two parts: one from Franny’s point of view and the other from her brother, Zooey’s. And don’t forget the incredible amount of angst just like any Salinger story.

4. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

Like Rory, this dystopian novel is one of my favorites. Plus, they burn books (the irony).

5. Edgar Allan Poe: Complete Tales & Poems by Edgar Allan Poe

Never forget the time Stars Hallow was overrun by the Poe Society. #fauxpoesfoes

6. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoyv

This is the book that Rory tries to get Dean to read, but he dismisses it because it’s “depressing.” Rory loves it though, so try to get past the novel’s tragic features and enjoy the story!

7. Howl by Allen Gingsburg

When Jess first met Rory he heisted this book of poems and gave it back later with writing in the margins. If that doesn’t steal a book lover’s heart, I don’t know what else does! #TeamJess

Check out the full list of books mentioned in Gilmore Girls here! Spoiler alert, there are a lot. Happy reading!

Photo Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Junior Fiction Writing and English Literature double majors Italian Studies minor Fun facts: I love all things Italy! My last name even means bread and my friends call me toast. My spirit animals are unicorns, mermaids or Hello Kitty(:
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt