Top 3 Affordable Lotions for Dry Skin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

As the weather turns to more dry and chilly days, it’s important to remember to change your skin routine accordingly. When it’s hot and humid in the summer, our skin doesn’t dry out as easily as it does during the colder fall and winter months. As someone who has chronically dry skin, I’ve put together a list of my favorite lotion brands you can find in any drug store (and probably in a cheaper generic form) that are great for dry skin AND your wallet.

St. Ives

After trying everything, this is my personal favorite brand (check out their apricot facial scrub as well because it’s amazing). They have lots of different types, although my favorite for irritated, dry skin is Oatmeal & Shea Butter. A 21-oz. bottle of this (a standard “large” size bottle) retails at about $6, but it’s easy to find coupons and sales on them. Best of all, they’re made with all-natural moisturizers and are paraben free!

Eucerin

Eucerin has a wide range of moisturizing products, from lotions to body washes, so it’s easy to find a product that works best for your needs. My favorite type is Skin Calming Daily Moisturizing Cream enriched with natural oatmeal that helps to stop itchy, dry skin. When the itch is really bad, they also have a companion product in their Skin Calming line called Itch Relief Treatment. It’s enriched with menthol, which cools down your skin and really helps combat the urge to itch. These products run a little bit higher in price, at about $7 for a 14-oz. tube of daily moisturizer and the same price for 6.8 oz. of itch relief. However, Eucerin is among the most recommended brands by dermatologists and is fragrance and dye free.

Cerave

Cerave is another brand with a vast array of moisturizing products, although I can only vouch for their Moisturizing Cream. It boasts the “Seal of Acceptance” from the National Eczema Association and claims to have been developed with dermatologists. This particular product contains ceramides and hyaluronic acid, both important aspects of keeping our skin hydrated and healthy. This is the most expensive of the products I’ve mentioned, but there are many generic brands that mimic Cerave’s formula. (Check the ingredients!) For 12 oz. in a pot with a lid that screws on and off, you will pay about $10 (for name brand). But if you’re looking for something that does heavy-duty work without feeling like you’re slathering butter on yourself, this is definitely worth it.

So as the weather continues to change, make sure you’re taking care of your skin! I have seen all of these products in generic form at drug stores such as CVS, Rite Aid and Target, so to save even more money, check those out! Happy moisturizing :)

Photo Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4

Hi! I'm a senior at the University of Pittsburgh majoring in communication and nonfiction writing. This is my third year at Her Campus Pitt and my second year as the entertainment category editor! I'm also a chapter advisor this semester! I'm a pizza-loving cat mom with a chronic habit of napping from the Boston area. I enjoy spending time binge-watching netflix, snuggling, reading, writing, cooking, and hanging out with my friends. I'm looking forward to becoming increasingly involved with everything Her Campus over the remainder of the college career! Thanks for reading my articles and always feel free to contact me with feedback :)
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt