Top 10 Reasons to Love Living in Pittsburgh

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

We all know we live in a beautiful city, but what is it exactly that we love about it? Is it the number of parks, the dozens of theaters, the libraries around every corner? Maybe it’s the sports scene, or the diversity of the neighborhoods. Whatever your reason for living here may be, Pittsburgh is on the rise and is a real destination for any city-lover. So sit back, relax, and fall in love with Pittsburgh all over again.

1. Restaurants

Of course we have to start with food because, let’s be real, who doesn’t love food? If you live in Pittsburgh, finding good food is never a problem. Whether you want a short walk to The Porch, Fuel and Fuddle, or (of course) Primanti Brothers, Oakland is a great place to grab something to eat. But with a city as big as Pittsburgh, there’s a lot more variety than that. Visit the Strip District for a night out at Lidia’s, go to Polish Hill for some homemade pierogis, or head to Shadyside for Pamela’s famous breakfast. Whatever you decide, just remember: Pittsburgh has a ton of hidden gems when it comes to restaurants. Try to find your new favorite!

2. Architecture

It’s no secret that Pittsburgh boasts some beautiful architecture. Several of Frank Lloyd Wright’s famous buildings, such as Fallingwater and the Duncan House, are located right outside the city. Within the city limits, beautiful buildings are around every corner. From the Allegheny Courthouse to the Omni William Penn Hotel to our very own Cathedral of Learning, the history in Pittsburgh is rich and is shown through these awe-inspiring buildings.

Cathy being her fearless and incredibly majestic self.

3. Unique events

In a city with so much diversity, there’s bound to be a number of events that are…well, off the beaten path. Pittsburgh has a lot of interesting events to look into, like the Heinz Pickle Festival, a yearly celebration with ethnic food, music, and pickles (duh!). Some great upcoming events include Pittsburgh’s ScareHouse and Kennywood’s Fright Night.

4. Museums, theaters, and libraries

Lover of the arts? Pittsburgh is the place for you! Pittsburgh is home to more than 30 theaters and music halls, where exciting new events are announced all the time. If you’re a book-lover on a budget, fear not! The Allegheny County Library System consists of 45 libraries with over 70 locations throughout the area where you can find thousands of books and references. And whether you’re an art lover or a history buff, Pittsburgh has over 30 museums about any imaginable topic. Additionally, through the Pitt Arts program, Pitt students have free admission to several of the most popular museums! Go check one out today!

5. Sports

Home to three major sports teams, Pittsburgh is a staple in big-league sports. The Pittsburgh Pirates, Steelers, and Penguins all call our beautiful city home. Not the biggest baseball, football, or hockey fan? That’s okay! You don’t have to be a sports fanatic to have fun at a game. Stadiums like PNC Park are great places to just get out with friends and have fun.

6. Green space

Pittsburgh may be a city, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t space to relax. Boasting nearly 2,000 acres of green space within the city, Pittsburgh is the place to be whether you want the downtown scene or the beauty of nature. With dozens of running paths, hiking trails, and playgrounds, the four main city parks (Frick, Highland, Riverview, and Schenley) are enjoyable for anyone.

7. Cheap and free stuff to do

There’s never a reason to be bored in Pittsburgh! With so many exciting things happening just a short walk or bus ride away, there’s no excuse to stay in! Whether you check out one of Pittsburgh’s many neighborhoods, take a walk in the park (hey, you have those four to choose from!), or visit one of the museums or theaters, many activities come at little to no cost. There are tons of community activities happening every day, it’s just a matter of finding them!

Want to know more about free events happening right now? Check out Rad Works Here, a program unique to Pittsburgh that highlights some of the great features of Pittsburgh! More information about Radical Days can be found here.

Who wouldn’t want to spend the day with these cuties over at the Pittsburgh Zoo!?

8. Ethnic diversity

If you need to get out of Pittsburgh for a while, you’re in luck – you can leave the city without really leaving the city! With two neighborhoods that are historically ethnic, Polish Hill and Bloomfield (dubbed “Pittsburgh’s Little Italy”), you can spend time somewhere other than your usual Oakland stomping grounds. To some, these ethnic enclaves are a home away from home. If you come from a strong Italian or Polish background, you’ll feel right at home here.

Polish Hill makes us wonder whether or not we’re in Pittsburgh anymore.

9. Fun records

When it comes to record holding, Pittsburgh has some pretty unique accomplishments. From medicine to architecture, our city is one to be proud of. Pittsburgh is the world record holder for the largest number of bridges, beating out Venice by three bridges. Pittsburgh is also home to the tallest educational building in the United States (our girl, Cathy!), and the polio vaccination was created at the University of Pittsburgh by Andrew Salk in the 1950’s.

Cathy admiring the beautiful sunset.

10. Beautiful views

Pittsburgh is known all around for its beautiful views, and for good reason. Whether you go downtown or stay right at home in Oakland, you’re bound to have some remarkable surroundings. A nighttime walk in North Shore is great to see the beautiful downtown area and some of Pittsburgh’s beautiful bridges. Want to get the best view of all? Take a bus ride up to Mt. Washington, because even if the incline has closed for the (too quickly approaching) winter, that’s okay, this view is worth it, no matter the weather.

The hardest part of living in Pittsburgh is finding out about these events! For more information, or to stay up to date on new events, check out Downtown Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh Lectures, PittArts, Rad Works Here, Alleghany County Library Association, and Visit Pittsburgh.

Image credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, author’s own, 11

Hi, I'm Jess! I'm a Senior at The University of Pittsburgh double-majoring in Nonfiction English Writing and Communication with a French Minor.  "Nothing even matters except love and human connection- who you loved, and how deeply you loved them; how you touched the people around you, and how much you gave them."
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt