The Three Bags You’ll Need When Travelling

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Allow me to lay out the scene: It’s the night before your big trip. You’re making an appearance with your long-distance squad tomorrow at their local stomping grounds (AKA their college). You have so many decisions remaining revolving around packing – what to wear, how much to bring, what you’ll be doing and how much downtime you’ll have, how long the trip is, etc. In all this chaos, it’s easy to lose track of what you really need. I visit my friends in other colleges a TON, and there are three bags I rely on for a successful journey.

Firstly: My most important travel item is my “voodoo medicine/toiletry bag”. This is your absolute must-have for traveling. I took a rather sizeable makeup bag and filled it with the following:

• A mini first-aid kit containing: Ibuprofen (or your preferred over-the-counter pain reliever), Band-Aids, Benadryl, Sudafed*, nail clippers, cough drops, and single-use Neosporin packets.
  • Travel sized containers of shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, contact solution/eye drops, lotion, toothpaste, and hand sanitizer.
  • Floss and a travel toothbrush.
  • A wide toothed comb (I suggest this because it is flat and won’t take up space).
  • A razor for touch ups.
  • Extra contact case.
  • 2 or 3 emergency tampons/feminine napkins.

With this, you can rule the world… or travel it— whichever floats your boat. Additionally, in my voodoo medicine/toiletry bag, I make room for my birth control and other prescription medications (which incidentally fit into that extra contact lens case. Of course you’ll have to wash it before putting contacts in it, but it’s handy nonetheless). My father gave me the idea for the voodoo medicine bag, because it covers every surface level toiletry need you might have. It will not prevent the disastrous hangover that will inevitably follow your first night on the town at your friend’s college, but it can save you from having to share a toothbrush.

Alternatively, a black hole would suffice.

*You should only pack Sudafed OR Ibuprofen; since Sudafed has Ibuprofen in it, there’s no need to double up on pain killers, and it’s unhealthy to take both at the same time. Choose between the two. If you think you’re getting sick – Sudafed; if you think you might have a headache or general pain – Ibuprofen.

Second, I present to you: the stuff bag. The stuff bag is where you put the voodoo medicine/toiletry bag, your clothes for the visit (don’t forget your socks), your makeup bag, and any additional “stuff” you might need for your escapades. Attending an under-the-sea-party? Stuff that mermaid costume in the stuff bag. Friend has a smelly roommate? Throw Febreeze in the stuff bag. Road munchies? Stuff Bag.

Thirdly, I present: the humble bookbag. The humble bookbag is responsible for your serious farce (oxymoron intended). In this humble bookbag you will insert:

• Your laptop and charger.
  • Your phone charger.
  • Any homework you might have to do (if there’s a long bus ride back, you might actually end up doing it).
  • A spare notebook and some pens.
  • Condoms (if you’re bringing them).

Packing drives me batty. ;)

Now, the last two items in the humble bookbag may sound pretty weird, but bear with me. The spare notebook is for occasions when you need to do homework on the computer that requires scratch paper, to plan your budget for the weekend, or to plan a particularly bomb-ass adventure for you and the homies. The condoms go in the humble bookbag – if you choose to bring them – because they are far less likely to be crushed in the humble bookbag than the stuff bag. What with your mermaid costume and other random assortment of items floating around in the stuff bag, or even in the voodoo medicine/ toiletry bag, it’s likely the condoms will be damaged. The safer option is to put the condoms in an inside or side pocket, where they are less likely to be damaged. My personal favorite is the “mp3 holding” pocket, because it is often in an elevated position in the backpack (with a zipper or a Velcro flap to hold it closed), which leads to less damage.

Not relevant but it involved Velcro, so there you go.

Lastly: do not forget your wallet, your phone and your normal school ID! These normally do not go in a travelling bag but are carried on your person, so bring a coat with pockets or a versatile purse. On that note, happy travelling! May your escapades bring you nothing but infamy.

The Ideal Vacation.

Image credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt