This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

TW: Eating disorders

This weekend, Pittsburgh is hosting its NEDA Walk to raise money for the National Eating Disorder Association. The walk is free to join and will begin Saturday at 10:00 AM, meeting in front of the Frick Fine Arts building and walking through Schenley park in a loop about 1-2 miles in length. There will also be various speakers. Several members of our Her Campus chapter will be in attendance at the walk, and we are so excited to be a part of this incredible community event to support the work of NEDA! If you’re unable to make it to the walk, but would still like to support the NEDA, you can donate to our Her Campus team here.

The National Eating Disorder Association as a whole, which the walk is supporting, works to help those affected by eating disorders with access to resources and quality care, education, treatment, and prevention, as well as raising awareness. The NEDA cites that over 30 million Americans deal with an eating disorder at some point in their life but eating disorder treatment and prevention still receive significantly less funding than those for other major mental illnesses. The NEDA is seeking to change this, and the walk this weekend goes entirely towards furthering this amazing cause.

Her Campus at Pitt is attending and supporting the NEDA walk because we believe in accessible mental health care and eating disorder awareness, prevention, and treatment. We are so excited to be part of this amazing community! Last Friday, we held a Donut and Body Positivity Board fundraiser, and raised over 150 dollars, all of which will be donated to the NEDA. We are so grateful to everyone who stopped by and hope to see some of you there at the walk this weekend! This Tuesday, we will also be holding a Venmo-bingo fundraiser, where you can donate to the members of the Her Campus at Pitt team to raise more money for the walk. If you are able and interested, we would appreciate any donations to our team at the link above, or support for our fundraisers. One of our biggest goals at HC Pitt is to expand and support our community, and this is a fantastic opportunity.

Lauren Deaton is a second-year student at the University of Pittsburgh, she is currently serving both as Chapter Chair and Writer. She most frequently writes about entertainment topics– including music recommendations, topics of representation, and anticipated movie lists. Lauren is double majoring in English Literature and Media and Professional Communications with a focus on Public and Professional Writing. She is also pursuing a Film and Media Studies minor and is a member of the Honors College. She recently completed a communications internship with the Fletcher Free Library and will be beginning a research position with the Language and Literacy Division at Pitt during the Fall 2023 semester. In the future, she hopes to work in publishing helping to increase access to representation. She is also a writer for Studio 412 a creative outlet on Pitt’s campus and is a member of Alpha Epsilon Phi Sorority. Lauren loves her dog, her friends, her family, and everything reading, coming of age and cold brew related.
Kaitlyn is the Business/PR Manager for the Her Campus University of Pittsburgh Chapter, as well as a writer. She is currently a second-year student at Pitt, and initially joined Her Campus last year. Most of her articles cover recipes or entertainment topics like books, movies, and music, but she is looking to expand to a wider breadth of topics. Kaitlyn is an English Literature Major, and plans to minor in both Spanish and Chinese. She is a member of the Frederick Honors College, with plans to study abroad in China or Taiwan. In addition to Her Campus, Kaitlyn is a member of Studio 412, another student publication at Pitt. Outside of classes, Kaitlyn can frequently be found gushing about her dogs, reading, or cooking something for herself and her roommates.