This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

It’s easy to stay inside and keep your nose in a textbook during the winter months. It’s cold, difficult to drive in and ultimately not my favorite season (it’s my least favorite to be blunt). But, the treacherous Pittsburgh winter can be made more bearable by going out and enjoying what the city has to offer.

Driving around the city

One of the pros of having all four seasons here in Pittsburgh is being able to watch the snow fall and see how it lays after a storm. If you have a safe car to do so, driving around the city is a great winter activity. The snow looks stunning against the buildings and sidewalks. 

Hot (cold) Girl walk

One of my favorite things to do is go on a winter walk in Oakland. I wear layers to the point where I look like a marshmallow and I head out. This is a great social activity to do with a roommate or friend. I suggest walking to your favorite local coffee shop so you can hold a warm coffee while you’re getting your steps in.

Sledding on Flagstaff Hill

With the below freezing (sometimes negative) temperatures and multiple snow storms, the snow on the ground is here to stay. Gather your besties and head to FlagStaff Hill to go sledding! 

Phipps Conservatory

Phipps Conservatory is one of my favorite activities any time of the year. But, there’s something about their winter display that makes me feel like I’m walking in a winter wonderland. Pitt students get in for free, so there’s no reason not to take advantage of this great place we are lucky to have in Oakland.

Museums

If you want to get out of the house or dorm without feeling the cold, museums are the activity for you. The Carnegie Museums, Phipps Conservatory, The Andy Warhol Museum and The Mattress Factory are all free with a Pitt student ID. 

Ice Skating in Schenley Park

The ice skating rink in Schenley Park is the perfect escape. Overlooking the beautiful park, you will get in some movement while taking in the scenery.

cooking a new recipe

You can make a new recipe any time of year, but it seems like it’s the perfect time to do so when it’s frigid out. There’s nothing like gathering your roommates together to make a hearty meal in the comfort of your own home. 

Junior marketing major