Taylor Swift: Empowered Woman or Shameless Maneater?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Unless you’ve been living under a rock for the past couple years, you know that a certain female by the name of Taylor Swift has been a little less than lucky in her endeavors with the opposite sex, exemplified by her copious amounts of unhappy love songs. However, her latest stunt at the Grammy’s last week during her opening performance put her latest ex, Harry Styles, on blast and left some wondering whether she’s finally crossed the line into the realm of unprofessionalism. Back in the day, airing your dirty laundry was a big no-no in society. But, is that ideal simply outdated, or is it justified when you’re making millions of dollars broadcasting the details of your personal life to the world via catchy harmony?

Getting back at a guy who did you dirty is one thing, but the sheer volume in which Ms. Swift does it is a bit alarming. According to sources, she has dated around 12 famous men in a relatively short period of time and has written various Top 40 songs about around 5 of them, not including her earlier songs about guys she dated in high school. In these songs, it does appear as if some of these men were jerks to her, but of course the public is only getting one side of the story. It’s a little hard to believe that the men were the sole person to blame for the failure of the relationships when she has gone through so many of them so quickly. Even if it is all the guys’ fault, people are starting to think Taylor is the stupid one for continually falling for the wrong types of guys about whom she constantly sings. Either way, adding more ex-boyfriends to her list might not bode well for her reputation, and complaining about them and dissing them on such a universal level can be construed as unprofessional.

On the other hand, having a widespread knowledge of the details of failed relationships in songs may be beneficial to those listening to them. One of the big reasons Taylor Swift is so popular is because her music is relatable. Your boyfriend cheated on you? There’s a Swift song for that. Crush doesn’t know you exist? Taytay’s got your back. The varying scenarios are endless, giving any scorned woman some musical therapy and the relief that someone else out there understands her pain. In a way, Swift is a relationship martyr, sacrificing herself to send out a message of her mistakes in love to potentially save others from making the same ones.

Whether her questionable love antics are justified or not, Taylor Swift doesn’t appear to be slowing down any time soon. It seems as if she will continue pumping out hit after hit describing her exes until she pushes the envelope a little too far and the public revolts, or she just finally settles down with the right guy and runs out of lyrical material.

Sources:

http://taylorswift.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Taylor_Swift%27s_ex-boyfriends

http://www.wittyprofiles.com/q/6564806

Photo Credit:

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/taylor%20swift%20meme

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt