Table for One: Why You Should Go Out to Eat on Your Own

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

I’m sure you’re thinking, “Nope.”

In college, we’ve gotten so accustomed to the readily available array of friends that are always down to grab a bite to eat (or, if they’re true friends and have already eaten, down to sit and watch us eat). Sharing a meal with someone, whether it’s at the dining hall or at the Chipotle down the street, is a way to both knock out a necessary component of the day and catch up with someone you may not get to see as often as you’d like. Through chatter and laughter, we finish up our meals and carry on with our days, but not always do we get to truly experience the meal itself. We spend such a portion of our time talking, that we don’t get to savor what’s on our plate.

During Pittsburgh Restaurant Week, I selected a nice restaurant in a different neighborhood, made a reservation, and excitedly bussed my way to try something new. At first, I expected everyone to stare and small children to point and laugh at my solitude (Okay, I may be exaggerating, but who hasn’t thought this would happen?). Instead, I made pleasant conversation with the host who graciously seated me near a warm fireplace before a kind waitress came over. After tediously picking out what I wanted, I placed my order, put away my phone, and brought out my favorite book.

Truffle cake with raspberry sauce featuring one of my favorite books, The Man Who Ate Everything by Jeffrey Steingarten

By the time dessert rolled around, I felt sad that my excursion was almost over (not too sad to eat all of the chocolate truffle cake, though). When I walked in, I feared the judgment and boredom I would have to endure during my short time, but I was entirely wrong. It couldn’t have been a more refreshing experience.

Through this nifty little experiment, I learned a few things that will do nothing but push me to try more restaurants on my own (as though I ever need to be convinced to eat) – so check them out, get hungry, and enjoy trying something new.

1.  You can focus on your food

Sometimes we get so engrossed in conversation that we don’t get a chance to really enjoy what’s on the plate in front of us. Sure we’re eating, but we aren’t tasting. You’d be surprised by how much more quickly you’ll get full because you are focusing on your food rather than what’s next to talk about.

2. You gain confidence

Elite Daily mentions that being able to go out to eat by yourself means you’ve gone through tremendous growth as a person and are comfortable in your own company. That means you feel like you are in a good, pleasant place when in solitude, and that is the crux of maturing as young adults. Trust me, it felt great to be able to rely on myself and my book for a wonderful lunch date.

3. You get some alone time

The chaos of school, work, and life in general can frequently be daunting. As college students, we’re well aware of this and have gotten to become nothing short of multitasking masterminds, and that in itself earns us the right to unwind. Picking out a fun, new restaurant or café that is outside the realm of campus gives you the chance to explore a little more and clear your mind from the hectic schedule. Even better, it lets you take a step back and appreciate the things around you – something that we’re frequently letting slip through our days. 

Plus, if you’re anything like Joey Tribbiani, sharing your dauntingly waited for food is no fun task. Dining alone ensures that you’ll be scooping up every morsel of that chocolate lava cake that you order for dessert (let’s be honest, we know no one can resist that volcano of goodness).

Photos: 1 Author’s photo, 2

Elaine is a food loving, FRIENDS watching, Oxford comma enthusiast who has a passion for writing. She is a Business Information Systems and Human Resources Management double major and shares a love for people, languages, and technology. When she isn't experimenting in the kitchen or posting on @AndAChocolateDrizzle, she is either reading, laughing, or venturing through the city on the hunt for the best slice of pizza. 
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt