This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Name: Sydney Harper

Year: Junior

Major: Political Science/ Communications

Hometown: Silver Spring, MD

Her Campus: So Sydney, besides being recently elected to Student Government Board, what other things are you involved in around campus?

Sydney Harper: I did just recently join Student Government Board, but in addition to that new role I am a Pitt Pathfinder, I was the Multimedia Editor at The Pitt News for a while, and I was the Multimedia Director for Pitt Dance Marathon (which actually just happened last weekend). I worked for the Student Affairs Marketing Communications Office for about a year and a half, but those are all the main things that have taken up my time on campus so far. 

HC: You seem like you juggle a million things at once, what do you like to do in your free time?

SH: In my free time I am absolutely in love with hanging out around my friends. We listen to music and do other really weird/cool/fun stuff that makes me appreciate how awesome they all really are. I also really enjoy watching movies and new television shows, especially critically-acclaimed ones that keep people talking and ones that make you laugh. I LOVE reading the news and keeping up with what is happening in the world today. If I’m on my phone I’m probably on my favorite news sites reading articles and watching videos about the most pressing topics of conversation. 

HC: What was the most exciting thing you’ve done thus far in your college career?

SH: The most exciting thing of my Pitt career will probably have to be when I went abroad to London last spring during my sophomore year. I got to work and live in one of the coolest cities in the world while traveling the continent and seeing new places. I LOVED traveling to cities like Budapest and Florence and getting to really challenge myself to branch outside of my comfort zone that I made on campus. Living away from Pitt for a semester was really hard, but it was invigorating to be doing things that were completely different from my everyday campus routine. If you want to hear about something here at home, one time my friends and I did a Segway tour of the city and it was pretty poppin’. While my life flashed before my eyes multiple times in that ride around Pittsburgh, it was super cool to do something like that while getting to learn about our city at the same time.  

HC: What do you hope to be doing after college? Or where do you picture yourself in ten years?

SH: After college I want to be working in the communications field, most likely for a news/media outlet where I can make video content about interesting stories and current events. In ten years I picture myself living abroad and probably working in the communications department of a company (I know, going from  journalism to the corporate life– what a jump) where I can engage with people on a global level. MTV is the dream so fingers crossed that is somewhere in the cards for me! I hope to continue getting my education, and since I love learning I would love to go to grad school in the next few years to specialize more in what I want to do.

HC: Do you have a favorite spot on campus? Any funny memories attached to it?

SH: My favorite spot on campus would probably have to be the Schenley Fountain over by Frick. One summer when I stayed and worked in Pittsburgh, my friends and I climbed the fountain on a random summer night and it is still one of my favorite Pitt memories because it was incredibly random and so much fun. It probably was very frowned upon and possibly life-threatening but we got some good times out of it, so that’s all that matters, right? 

HC: Now, an important matter of business…Antoons or Sorrentos? 

SH: Pro tip: once you put on the Italian seasoning (which is very underrated I might add) Antoons pizza is BOMB. 

HC: And if you had one bit of advice for the freshman you, what would it be?

SH: My advice for first-year students would be to really think about ways that they can use their skills to better the campus. Everyone has the ability to make an impact here, and once you throw yourself into something that you find a passion for you won’t only better your personal talents or your own experience, but you will also strengthen the school for everyone as well! It might seem daunting to get involved but with all the things to do anyone can enact some form of change at Pitt.

Photo Credit: Profile’s Facebook

Elaine is a food loving, FRIENDS watching, Oxford comma enthusiast who has a passion for writing. She is a Business Information Systems and Human Resources Management double major and shares a love for people, languages, and technology. When she isn't experimenting in the kitchen or posting on @AndAChocolateDrizzle, she is either reading, laughing, or venturing through the city on the hunt for the best slice of pizza. 
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt