This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

From coast to coast and hip-hop to punk rock, the U.S. is known for hosting some of the best music festivals in the world. Unsure of which one to grab tickets for this summer?  Here are a few you might not want to miss.

1) Bonnaroo

Location: Manchester, TN

Dates: June 12-15

Lineup Highlights: Elton John, Kanye West, Jack White, Vampire Weekend, Phoenix, Skrillex, Frank Ocean, the Flaming Lips, Slightly Stoopid

General Admission Price: $284.50 plus $28.80 in fees

Accommodations: General camping is included in the ticket price, but showers cost extra (we recommend paying it). VIP camping is also available for VIP ticket holders.

What sets it apart: Bonnaroo is one of the most famous popular music festivals in the country. Its inception took place in 2002, making it a veteran amongst many newer festivals like Firefly and Made in America—in fact, Firefly producers named Bonnaroo as their inspiration. It is known for its consistently strong and diverse lineups.

2) Firefly 

Location: The Woodlands, Dover, DE

Dates: June 19-22

Lineup Highlights: Foo Fighters, Outkast, Jack Johnson, Imagine Dragons, the Lumineers, the Arctic Monkeys, Beck, Band of Horses, Weezer, Pretty Lights

General Admission Price: Prices increase in tiers depending on when you buy your ticket. Right now, limited general admission passes are on sale for $259 plus fees. 

Accommodations: Camping spaces can be purchased for $149 for up to five people, which includes access to shower facilities. Campers must bring their own tent.  “Glamping,” or glorified camping, which includes an air-conditioned tent for two, cots, private restroom facilities, and more—is sold out.  

What sets it apart: With its kickoff year in 2012, Firefly quickly became a major contender amongst festivals nationwide. It has experienced immense success as “The East Coast’s Premier Music Experience,” and is a more convenient option for those Northeasterners who want a large-festival experience without travelling too far from home.

3) Coachella

Location: Coachella Valley, Indo, California

Dates: April 11-13 and 18-20

Lineup Highlights: Arcade Fire, Calvin Harris, Ellie Goulding, Girl Talk, Foster the People, Lana Del Ray, Kid Cudi, Lorde, MGMT, Muse, Outkast, Skrillex

General Admission Price: $375 for each weekend. Both weekends are sold out.

Accommodations: Safari Tents are fully furnished and air conditioned with restrooms and showers, free private parking, breakfast and late night snacks, and more for the low price of $6,500 for two people. Hotel packages for three nights start at $2,199 for two people and include tickets to the festival. There are also several campsites near the festival grounds, but must be contacted and booked independently. 

What sets it apart: Does this even need an explanation? Coachella: the biggest and most star-studded music and arts festival in the U.S. since it began in 1999. It was recently listed as the third largest in the world, with an attendance of 675,000 in 2013. This is the pinnacle of festivals. 

4) Warped Tour

Location: Travels throughout the U.S.

Dates: Varies by city:

Scranton, Pennsylvania- July 9

Camden, New Jersey- July 11

Burgettstown, Pennsylvania- July 15

Lineup Highlights (varies by city): We the Kings, Yellowcard, Bowling for Soup, Anberlin, Nine Inch Nails, Cute is What We Aim For, Mayday Parade, Parkway Drive, The Maine, The Devil Wears Prada

General Admission Price: Varies by city; typically between $45-$60

Accommodations: Warped Tour is a travelling festival that spends one day in each city, so overnight accommodations aren’t necessary.

What sets it apart: Warped is one of the most popular festivals for punk rock, pop punk, metal, and other types of alternative music.  It’s often full of meet-and-greets and signings where you can come face-to-face with your favorite bands, and since it’s only one day long, it’s a fraction of the cost of other festivals!   

5) The Governor’s Ball

Location: Randall’s Island, NYC, New York

Dates: June 6-8

Lineup Highlights: Outkast, Jack White, Vampire Weekend, the Strokes, Skrillex, Foster the People, Phoenix, Disclosure

General Admission Price: $230.00 plus $20.00 in fees

Accommodations: Standard camping is not offered, but for the first time VIP Cabanas are available. These include plush seating, beverages, light fare, massage therapists, free merch, and more. However, they are only open during the day and are not sleeping accommodations. Prices for the cabanas are not published on the festival website and are obtained by e-mailing cabanas@govball.com, which probably means they’re pretty steep. 

What sets it apart: Located on an island in New York City between Queens, Manhattan and the Bronx, the Governor’s Ball is quite literally in the center of the city that never sleeps. Not to mention, taking the Manhattan ferry to the festival would be pretty cool.

6) SXSW (South by Southwest)

Location: Austin, Texas

Dates: March 7-16 (Music, March 11-16)

Lineup Highlights: Coldplay, Blondie, Imagine Dragons, Chance the Rapper, Childish Gambino, Kendrick Lamar, 2 Chainz, Los Lonely Boys, Cash Cash

General Admission Price: Badge prices increase in tiers up until February 7th.  All badges purchased after are considered “walk-up” badges and start at $1,295. 

Accommodations: SXSW does not provide accommodations, however ticket holders can go on the website to find help on booking nearby hotels. 

What sets it apart: SXSW is not only a music festival, but showcases film and interactive media as well. It has the largest number of up-and-coming acts of any festival, which draws tons of agencies and other cool people to network with while you’re there.  

7) Ultra Music Festival

Location: Miami, Florida

Dates: March 28-30

Lineup Highlights: Avicii, Armin Van Buuren, Afrojack, Krewella, Tiesto, Zedd, David Guetta, Kaskade, MGMT, M.I.A., Empire of the Sun, Hardwell

General Admission Price: $399.95 plus fees for a 3-day pass

Accommodations: Ultra does not provide accommodations.

What sets it apart: Ultra is one of the premier electronic music festivals in the U.S. and has hosted almost every major DJ in the world. Held in the middle of Miami, it’s quite literally a party within a party. If you’re into house or club music (or are just looking for a good time), Ultra is for you.

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt