Stylish Warmth: How to Dress for a Night Out Without Freezing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

The walk to South Oakland or (god-forbid) frat row is getting colder and colder as we reach October. The common goal for most girls is to look hot, put together, and classy when dressing to go out. A hard question most of us face is: How can I look sexy when it’s too cold to show skin? How can I go out without freezing, but still look cute?  Follow these tips for all the answers!

The material of the clothing is most important, because “thick” will keep you warm.  Sweaters have a stereotype of being old and modest, but there are some party-worthy sweaters out there (especially from Express and Forever 21)!  Many sweaters have a deep v-neck (like Martha’s, shown above) or sheer spots and cutouts. Also, opt for a thick jegging or skinny jean, which will still show your curves! Black is always a go to, but feel free to try crazy colors and prints when going out. The benefit of wearing pants will be completely worth it when you’re perfectly comfortable, but your friend in a mini skirt is non-stop complaining.

Party attire that will keep you warm can also include tights, vests, and long sleeve shirts.  Long sleeves can be really cute, as seen by this tight floral crop top and mesh top.  The floral top is a fall-take on the summer crop top, and it looks amazing.  Also, tights are helpful tool for staying warm.  They are a huge trend and will show off your legs while hiding any imperfections. 

Don’t be afraid to wear a jacket when going out!  It’s completely worth it to be comfortable, and there are a lot of awesome jackets out there that look good and will keep you perfectly warm. Leather seems to be everyone’s favorite when heading to parties, and I would have to agree. This is a fall/winter outfit from my closet that I absolutely love because the jacket keeps me so warm! I wear it with tights, heels, and a necklace, and I feel super comfortable while in it. FYI, if you think you are too covered or not dressed up enough, always accessorize. Jewelry can add fun to an outfit and make you look more polished.

Image credit: 2, 3, all others taken by author

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt