Steph’s Suite Sounds: Halloween Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Welcome all music lovers and participants alike!  Your music library is a collection, and I intend to help you expand it, one step at a time.  The musical term suite pertains to a loose collection of instrumental compositions.  I love sharing the new songs/artist/bands etc. that I discover, as well as those I absolutely respect and think people need to know about.  So welcome to the suite, keep an open mind, and I hope you enjoy this week’s feature(s)…

In the spirit of Halloween, it’s only fitting to go ahead and give you guys some awesome songs for a Halloween themed playlist.  These songs are great and work in pretty well for a Halloween themed party. Even if you don’t celebrate Halloween, this playlist will bring back some memories about some TV shows or movies that you may have watched on past Halloweens. Let’s get started!

Michael Jackson – “Thriller

What music video was scarier than any other you’d seen growing up?  Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” of course! This song is amazing, and that crazy laugh at the end gets me every time.

Johann Sebastian Bach – “Toccata & Fugue in D Minor”

Almost all of the Dracula movies that I have seen in my lifetime have used this super creepy composition: “Toccata & Fugue in D Minor” by Johann Sebastian Bach.  This composition has become a classic Halloween stamp, whether it be on the radio, theatre, or in a movie.

The Addams Family Theme Song

Halloween is also about having some fun, so what’s more fun than walking down memory lane and revisiting the Addams Family?! Check out the theme song for a moment of happy feelings!

To add more character to your playlist, I have come across some more great songs to get you into the holiday spirit! There are so many more songs out there that fit into the scary/creepy category!

Stevie Wonder – “Superstitious

White Zombie – “I’m Your Boogie Man

Marilyn Manson – “This Is Halloween” (This version is a bit more eerie than the Nightmare Before Christmas original.)

Warren Zeron – “Werewolves of London

Mike Oldfield- “Tubular Bells

Bloodrock – “D.O.A.

Fantomas – “Rosemary’s Baby

Hocus Pocus – “Come Little Children” 

I’ll leave you with one of my favorites; I listen to this song even when it’s not super creepy Halloween time…

The Smashing Pumpkins – “The Beginning Is The End Is The Beginning

I hope these songs/tracks get you into a festive mood! As a kid, the Halloween experience was really scary, so I hope these creepy songs at least get you in that ghoulish mood. Until next time music lovers… I’m ghost!

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt