Step Into Spring: 4 Shoe Trends for Spring 2014

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Ah spring.  That wonderful time of the year when the weather not only gets warmer, but we also get treated to a whole new set of cute fashion trends to warm up our dull winter wardrobes.  And what’s better than finally packing away our chunky sweaters, scarves, and parkas?  Or being able to free our feet from those stuffy boots they’ve been living in for the past 4 months?  I know I’m ready to slip my toes into something lighter, and these shoes are just the thing to step into spring.

1. Sneakers

When someone says the word “sneakers,” I don’t normally think fashion.  Frankly, my grandma’s clunky all-white New Balances come to mind, but this new group of canvas shoes that are making appearances on the runway aren’t your grandma’s sneakers; they’re slimmer and come in all different colors and styles.  Bringing it back to 2006 where rap group The Pack’s hit made it cool to wear Vans with no laces, these sweet kicks will make sure you’re comfortable and fashionable this spring. 

2. Mules

Speaking of bringing it back, the ’90’s comeback doesn’t show signs of stopping any time soon, shown by the return of chunky square heels and this throwback gem, the mule.  As with the sneaker above, designers have updated this shoe to be sexier and more current, using sumptuous fabrics like silk (seen on the runway by Altuzarra) and alternating slim and chunky heels to make the mule fashionable once more.

3. The Stiletto

An oldie but a goodie, the stiletto never goes out of style.  With its classic, feminine design it never ceases to class up any outfit, and new designs seen at Fashion Week (like J. Mendel’s mesh one) help update the tried-and-true stiletto to give it an edgier feel.  Whether you want to keep it slim and simple, or jazz it up with spring’s new mesh trend, you can never go wrong this season with a stiletto.

4. The Gladiator

Although these sandals aren’t new to the fashion scene, they still seem to be hanging around, cropping up for the last couple of spring seasons with fresh new styles (something I can’t complain about!).   If you’re looking to try something new with this trend, check out laser-cut styles that add some variety to the look, or look for high-cut styles that you can pair with a sundress or skirt to show off your gams.  

With four different trends to choose from, you simply can’t go wrong with this season’s shoes.  And I don’t know about you, but I cannot wait to free my toes from my winter boots and break some of these styles in!

Photo Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt