Spring Break is in just a few days! As you start booking your flights, planning road trips, and purchasing tickets to a Broadway show, remember that you have to take care of the essentials for your suitcase before taking off. Here are some of the must-haves you need in order to have the best Spring Break ever!
1. Running shoes. In between touring museums and partying at a live show, you may want to go for a jog outside or hit up the hotel gym. Exercising during break, even for just a couple days out of the week, will keep up that workout momentum you’ve stuck with all semester.
2. Your favorite pajamas. Nothing says comfy-cozy like your best slippers and plush pajama set. After a long day of hustle and bustle, especially if you’re off to NYC or Las Vegas, it’s important to relax with a deep sleep (even though it might be short-lived) with the help of your pajamas.
3. At least two bathing suits. My suggestion is: if you are headed literally anywhere outside of Pittsburgh, bring a bathing suit. Chances are you’ll find a heated pool in your hotel, or, if you’re lucky enough, the beach. Having two bathing suits allows you to mix and match tops and bottoms, and if one is air-drying you can hit the waves two days in a row at least.
4. One classy outfit. Sometimes when packing the brightest tank tops and flip flops we’ve been dying to wear again since August, it can be easy to forget to bring even just one nice change of clothes. You can never go wrong with a fun LBD for a night out to dinner, or a pretty button down for the theater or for some classic barhopping.
5. A versatile jacket. Cardigans, crewnecks, and hoodies work, too—just make sure you bring one piece of outerwear for layering when the nights get chillier than expected.
1. Facial scrubs/ masks. Everyone needs to fit a spa day in somewhere in your long week off. Even if the mask is just from the gel of a plant, take time to give yourself the quality treatment you deserve. Start to update your Pinterest boards now for some great ideas
2. An effective lip balm. Do you really want chapped lips bringing you down all break? Of course not! Bring a couple. Bring 50. How ever many your lips need to stay hydrated. After you apply your balm, remember to add your favorite lip color too.
3. That SPF 30. Have you ever said to yourself, “I’m going to skip the sunscreen for today, I seriously need a tan!?” Don’t. Do. It. I’m so guilty of this too. The worst you can do is lay out on day one for eight hours straight and not be able to move for the next six days from your burning skin. Just don’t forget to keep applying!
1. Portable phone charger. This is an absolute must! Invest in one of these now and your life will be changed forever. They’re so small and convenient, and you’ll never run out of battery at the exact moment something Insta-worthy happens.
2. A digital or Polaroid camera. If you have one of these, I’d highly recommend bringing a camera with better quality than your iPhone. This could be your last trip for a while—so why not capture every fun moment?
All the rest
1. A book you’ve been waiting to read—and isn’t on the syllabus. Remember those amazing PJ’s you packed? Well now you can put them to good use and curl up in your bunny slippers with a good book. Bring one or two books you’ve been dying to get to, but just haven’t had the time.
2. Something to record all the fun stuff you do. Whether it be a vlogging camera, a notebook, or even your notes on your phone. You will love looking back and reliving the experience!
3. A list of nearby attractions and events. It’s never fun getting lost in a new area. To prevent this, try planning out your route and creating a list of stops along the way, or look into different attractions you definitely want to visit. Your travel plans don’t have to be timed out to the last minute, but just make sure you can figure out your way around, or where you want to end up. Otherwise, you run the risk of looking like this…
4. A durable (and cute!) water bottle. Through all the excitement, don’t forget to take care of your body! Stay hydrated and you’ll have enough energy for the whole trip.
Don’t forget to leave space in your suitcase for a souvenir or two! Safe travels, and have fun!