Small Notes from the Heart: A Unique V-day Gift

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Finding a gift for your significant other for Valentine’s Day can be easy, but finding a present for someone who lives hundreds of miles away is a big challenge. My boyfriend is deployed and I spent the entire month of January surfing the Internet in an attempt to find him the “perfect” gift. I couldn’t buy him chocolates, and for me a card wouldn’t suffice. Clothes were definitely out of the question, so I was running out of options. Lucky for me, my cousin recommended Kindnotes.com.

Kindnotes.com is a site that sells jars of love messages enclosed in miniature envelopes. You can send your significant other a jar of 31 messages and every day of the month they open up a special envelope to find a note just for them. The jars are really cute because you can choose the shape, add confetti and ribbons, and choose the envelope style. You can also hand pick each message you want in the jar, so that every note your significant other receives is from the heart. The site has a large variety of categories, so I was not just limited to choosing messages about love. I also chose messages about him being in the military, and about missing him. I even added a few inspirational messages to get him through the rough days. This jar of love notes is simple, but heartfelt. It was my way showing him how much he means to me, despite the distance between us.  

The jars are $35.95 and for some college students, that can be a bit pricey. However, the concept is easy to replicate and all the supplies can be found at Michael’s or Target. All you need is a jar, a bag of confetti, stationary notes, and ribbon (if you want to add an extra touch). If you are really good at crafting, you can cut out your own hearts and write your messages on those, instead of buying stationary notes. Or, you can use the world template for business cards and use that to write your messages; just print and cut them out! You can also make coupons and put them inside of the jar as an added bonus. Valentine’s Day is not about money; it’s about love. If you want to show someone how much they mean to you, this is a great gift and it will last way longer than any flower or piece of candy. 

Image credit

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt