Six Influential Women Who We Just Can’t Get Enough Of

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Throughout history, the media, and Hollywood, women have had to fight to make their presence and voice known. Although we have come a long way, women are still seen as the inferior sex.  We are either a slut when our “body count” is a higher than a guy’s, a prude if we don’t want to horizontally bop with someone, or a bitch when are we strongly opinionated on a topic. TV shows, music videos, and certain female celebrities also don’t help by portraying women as gold diggers or brainless. Despite these negative portrayals, it’s refreshing to see a powerful woman in the big leagues.  There are a countless number of women who are inspirational (famous and non-famous) and these six modern day women (in no particular order) are no different.

1. Mindy Khaling

Just off the top of my head I can name Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Isla Fisher, Leslie Mann, and Emma Stone as hilarious comedians that we love; and Mindy is no exception. Mindy started her career by portraying Ben Affleck in a play she and her friend co-wrote titled Matt & Ben. Mindy has constantly kept us laughing through her writing, acting, and her book “Is Everyone Hanging out Without Me? (And Other Concerns).” I mean what can I say other than I love Kelly Kapoor.

2. Aesha Mohammadzai               

Looking radiant and beautiful in this photo, the woman you see before you is also known as Bibi Aisha. Aisha was promised to a Taliban fighter and married at 14. After enduring abuse for four years, she escaped only to have been caught and returned back to her husband. As punishment, her husband and other family members cut off her nose and ears. Aisha was rescued and has had reconstructive surgeries since then. Although Aisha may have to go through years of counseling  for the emotional, mental, and physical abuse through this process, she has managed and continues to stand up for those who have endured abuse.

3. Lena Dunham

She may not be “the voice of our generation” but she successfully created a refreshing and controversial show in which all girls in their twenties can relate to at least once. Lena does not fit into the category of Supermodel playing the lead role, which makes Girls so much better to watch. In less than a few years, fearless and witty Lena has made it to the top and we can only predict that she will continue to show us more talent.

4. Grace Brown

After hearing stories of abuse, Grace Brown launched the tumblr blog Project Unbreakable.  Grace takes pictures of victims holding a sign of a quote from their attacker. She is just one of many examples of taking a creative idea and using it to help others.

5. J.K. Rowling

Why is J.K Rowling on this list? Besides going from rags to riches, writing a seven-book series, having it sell-out worldwide, and inspiring a movie franchise to go along with it, Rowling has used her fame and fortune to help others.  Rowling has been accused of trying to influence witchcraft on children; as the sane people of the world know, she has done nothing of the sort and has actually made Harry Potter a part of many childhood memories.

6. Writers from What Should We Call Me Blog

The creators from what I call “the best source of entertainment ever” started the blog as a way to keep in touch and make each other laugh when both girls departed for law school. Needless to say, the website receives numerous hits a day and has influenced others to write their own “What Should We Call Me“ blogs, including one at Pitt. Although the two girls have given interviews, they wish to remain anonymous.  From the bottom of my own heart and those of many procrastinators out there, thank you for creating a website that cheers people up.

Photo Credits:

1, 2, 3, 4

Samantha Saenz is a senior at Pitt. She is a Communication Science and Disorders major with a theatre minor. Sam loves movies and great TV shows and will probably write about it at least 90% of the time. She is in Pitt Ballet Club and has enjoyed her time with the girls from HerCampus Pitt.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt