free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Signs You Have a Millennial Job

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

The internet has changed the way we do our jobs forever. For the younger generation that grew up with the internet, however, it also has changed what is expected of them. Here are some of the following signs you have a “millennial job”:

They Ask You to Run Company Social Media

Unsure how to Twitter the tweets, your boss may ask you to run the company social media accounts. Dazzled by your Instagramming skills you did nothing special to procure, this job is like being the one intern who makes the good coffee – once they learn you can do it, you’re “that” person for the rest of your time there!

Flexible Hours & Some Bean Bag Chairs

Another typical tenant of millennial jobs is that they often focus around “work life balance” and a more relaxed atmosphere. If your job has any unconventional chairs (beanbags, swirly benches), this probably describes your workplace.

You Use Your Own Laptop

Part personalization, part money saving, millennial jobs typically expect you to bring your own laptop or use your own cell phone for work calls. This is cool until Bob from payroll realizes he has your personal number.

You Are Expected to Be Contactable AT ALL TIMES

If your Skype messenger continues to go off at 7pm on a Friday night, you could be working a modern 2017 job. Many have complained about the lack of hard lines between work and personal time these days, though some argue it is actually good for productivity

There Are Unpaid Interns. Unpaid Interns Everywhere.

One of the most often complained about features of millennial life is the outpouring of unpaid internships available. These companies claim to pay in “experience” instead of real wages. If your company has tons of these interns, even if you are not one of them, they’re following the millennial model.

If at least three out of five of the criteria above describe your job, congratulations! You are working in a millennial environment. You and your fellow coworkers have a higher chance of “work life balance,” but slim-to-none of buying a house before forty. It’s okay, though, we still have Twitter.    

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3

Junior Economics and Chinese major at Pitt! I am Fundraising chair for our fantastic Pink Level Chapter that was voted "Most Philanthropic" last year. Since I love volunteering and organizing people to help our Pittsburgh community, getting HC members into fun, innovative ways to build this community is my job. We also have fundraisers for both ourselves and our charity partner She's the First. To find out more about their amazing work check out https://www.shesthefirst.org/Look out for our HC Night Out tickets this October! Inquiries: jmc248@pitt.edu
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt