This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Going back to school means new clothes, new school supplies, and my personal favorite, new makeup for me to spend my entire paycheck on at Sephora. Walking into Sephora, you may be tempted to buy that bright green eyeliner that the super cool employee is wearing, but is it really worth 38 dollars? Of course it is! I have spent plenty of money (sorry mom) trying out new products for the fall so that you can utilize every penny. So, here is my list of musts and busts for this fall season.

Musts:

1. Bold Lips:

Those 8 am classes can be rough, am I right? The best way to look put together in a rush is by applying a bold lip color, which so happens to be one of the most popular beauty trends for fall.  Don’t be afraid of swiping on a dark red or plum lipstick color to enhance your beautiful smile!

Whether you are extremely pale or have bronze, glowing skin, bold lips can work for you. If you are on the paler side, opt for a brighter shade and avoid lipsticks with a brown or burgundy undertone. Try Buxom’s Full Bodied Lipstick in Menace to get the best of both worlds; this is a lipstick that is described as having a ‘rich wine’ color. Medium to dark skin tones should stick to blue toned and berry shade lipsticks, like Make Up For Ever’s Rouge Artist Intense #49. It’s perfect for fall and winter! Pro tip: to soften a bold lip, apply lipstick with a lip brush instead of directly onto the lips.

2. Full, Shaped Brows

Plucking your eyebrows too thin is so 90s. Today, it seems like everyone, from celebs to your roommate, has bold eyebrows perfected. I know it may be scary to tackle the two caterpillars above your eyes, but it’s time.

First, get yourself a nice pair of tweezers and follow the natural shape of your eyebrow. Pro tip: the beginning of your eyebrow should line up to the inner corner of your eye and the end should line up with your nose.

After your brows are shaped up, apply some brow powder or gel to enhance the look and frame your face. For beginners, a brow gel is simple and takes no time at all.  Benefit Cosmetic’s Gimme Brow is one of my holy grail items. It thickens your brows with microscopic fibers to help look full and maintain their shape all day. For a more intense look, try Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz. This helps you create shape and fill in the lighter sections of your brows to get a more defined, dramatic look. (Bonus: this product is smear-proof, so you won’t have to worry about your eyebrows falling off throughout the day.)

Busts:

1. Radiant Orchid Blush/ Lipstick

I am sorry Pantone Color of the Year, but it’s almost time to say goodbye. As summer comes to a close, it’s time to put away our beloved bright colors and embrace the new season’s trends.  For the cooler months, the most flattering and season appropriate blushes are rose gold, berry, and mauve pinks.  My number one product recommendation is Benefit Cosmetics Rockitude Lip & Cheek Kit. It comes with a rose gold blush, a liquid highlighter, rose tinted lip and cheek stain, and an ultra-plush lip gloss for 28 dollars! Now who could resist this addition to their makeup collection?

2. Facial Scrubs

Running from the pool to the beach, the summer can do some serious damage to your skin. To combat the harsh summer weather, people use scrubs to clear and repair their skin. However, as the cooler weather approaches, stay far away from the scrub and mask isle in Target. Instead, opt for a moisturizing lotion or Argan oil to keep your skin safe from the harsh winds that dry your skin out like crazy! Pro Tip: Using Argan Oil throughout the year will actually decrease the amount of oil your skin produces (crazy, right?). The Argan Oil will regulate the oil produced and can even improve acne scars and your skin tone, all while brightening your complexion. Try Josie Maran 100 percent Argan Oil. The mini size is only 16 dollars and a little goes a long way!

Now that you know the inside scoop for this month’s beauty essentials, don’t be afraid to go outside of your comfort zone and try something new! Your bank account may hate you now, but your makeup collection will thank you later. So, what’s going to be your new go-to item this fall?

Image Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4

Abby is a sophomore at the University of Pittsburgh majoring in Accounting. When she's not color coordinating her Lilly agenda, you can find her channeling her inner FBI agent binge watching Criminal Minds. She enjoys long walks on the beach, Kate Spade flash sales, and is a Starbucks enthusiast.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt