Secret Chipotle Tips from an Employee!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Tired of getting the same bowl every time? Trying to save a few bucks? Wondering if Chipotle really does have a “secret menu”? We do (kinda)! While there’s no actual secret menu that employees whisper about to each other in the back, there are some hacks and tips that aren’t on the menu that you are allowed to do at any Chipotle store. Some of these you might have heard from a friend, but a few are new tips never given out before!

1. Tortillas are free.

You can always get a burrito tortilla, soft taco tortillas, or hard taco shells on the side of your bowl! Just ask and you shall receive.

2. You can mix hard and soft taco tortillas.

Going along with tortillas, you can get any combination of soft flour, soft corn, and hard shell (yes we have hard shells!) tortillas when you get tacos. You can also ask not to have the soft tortillas warmed if you want!

3. You can get single tacos or tacos with different meats.

If you are feeling adventurous and want to try three different meats, you can! Cashiers have a button that can ring up single tacos, so if you want one with steak, one with chicken and one with barbacoa, they’ll ring it up as three separate single tacos. On that note, if you want a burrito with a side taco, you can do that, too! Just ask for one when you order your main meal. A single taco costs between $2.40 and $2.75 based on which meat you choose.

4. Half-and-half meat or double or TRIPLE meat

Watching carbs? Trying to get in your ~macros~? Getting those gains? You can ask for double or even triple meat! It does cost extra though (somewhere between $2-$4 depending on what meat and how much you get).

5. Allergies? Special diet? Alternative lifestyle? No problem!

All employees can change gloves for you upon request. All rice, beans, fajitas, sofritas, guac, and salsas are gluten free and vegan. The cheese, sour cream, lettuce, chips, and vinaigrette are gluten free, as well. And guess what? The corn tortillas are gluten free, as well!

6. Special rice in the back

Don’t like the cilantro lime rice? You can get plain white or brown rice by request.

7. Guac isn’t always extra.

If you get a bowl, burrito or order of tacos that is veggie or vegan, guac is always free with it! You can get the guac on your food or on the side. However, if you get a second guac for chips, you’ll have to pay for that one.

8. Single serving of chips

A bag of chips is three ounces, and sometimes it’s just too much if you aren’t sharing. You can ask for a bag of kids chips instead! They are one ounce and only cost $0.99.

9. There is one meat that gets you full fast and keeps you full longer.

Want to save half your bowl for later but always finding yourself devouring everything before you realize what you’ve done? Yeah, we’ve all been there. Our new meat, chorizo, is a chicken-pork sausage that is high in protein and fat. It fills you up so quickly, you’ll find it really hard to finish!

10. Salt on the side

Need more salt? You can ask for some and an employee will put some in a little container for you.

11. Cup for hot sauce

Do us all a favor and STOP STEALING THE HOT SAUCE BOTTLES. Guys, seriously, you can buy them at Giant Eagle and Walmart and basically anywhere else. Plus, you can ask for side containers and put the hot sauce in them!

12. Quesadilla

Yes, you can get a regular-sized quesadilla! You ask for it and we make it just like a regular burrito, but we put it in the press before giving it to you. Ta-da! A quesadilla. It’ll be charged the same as a burrito.

13. The infamous Quesortio

Yes, we can make you one. However, please don’t be a jerk and come in during the busiest times (noon and 6-8 p.m.) because it takes long to make, and we hate it when people get mad at us for queue times. Here’s how it works: come in around 2-3 p.m. or after 8:30 p.m. because those are the times that we are usually less busy. Ask super politely for one, and we will take a tortilla, put cheese on it, then make your burrito on top, and put the whole thing in the press for you. Voila, a quesorito! (You’ll get charged the price of one burrito and one quesadilla for the whole thing.)

Now you know a few new things to try at Chipotle! There are so many possibilities at Chipotle; you can try a new food every time you go. Overwhelmed with ideas!? Try a chicken avocado melt – a quesadilla with chicken, cheese, guac, and a side of sour cream. So yummy! And please remember to tip (with cash), especially if an employee makes you something extra special!

Image Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt