This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

One of my worst fears going in to college was that I would end up with a terrible roommate. I’ve learned this fear is fairly common, but most of the time it works out for the better. That being said, sometimes it doesn’t. The following are roommate horror stories shared by Pitt Students!

“Last year my roommates decided to get a pet even though our lease said we couldn’t have one. The two of them decided to get a SNAKE which was REALLY MEAN and scary. I was not a fan, and I asked them if they could keep it somewhere that I wouldn’t encounter it. WELL then the one who I shared a room with decided to get TWO MORE SNAKES which they KEPT IN MY ROOM. It was terrible. One time they microwaved one of their frozen mice to feed the snake and blew it up in MY microwave… I think there is still dead mouse residue in there.”

“I had a roommate during study abroad who would talk with their girlfriend on skype until two or three in the morning and tell me to ‘deal’ if I wanted to go to sleep. She locked me out of the bathroom, so I couldn’t go to class some days, and it got so bad that the program had to move me.”

“My boyfriend and I were sleeping in my freshman dorm room and I woke up in the middle of the night to see him already awake, staring at the ceiling with scared eyes. I started to grumble ‘What’s wrong?’ when then I heard it… My roommate had brought a random boy home in the middle of the night and they were having relations literally six feet from us. My boyfriend and I waited like five minutes of awkward panicking because they didn’t know we were awake until they got in the shower…And then burst out laughing forever. She still has no idea we weren’t asleep. I will take it to my grave.”

“My roommate last year would keep the window WIDE open at all times, including at night in January while I was sleeping with wet hair! I was sick for weeks.”

“Last year, my roommate told me that my boyfriend was allowed to stay over as many times as her boyfriend. My boyfriend goes to Pitt. HER BOYFRIEND LIVES 5 HOURS AWAY. And guess what? HE STILL STAYED OVER MORE THAN MINE BECAUSE EVERY TIME MY GUY TRIED TO STAY OVER SHE MADE HIM LEAVE. Life.”

“My roommate and I had two different talks about her smoking weed in our place (I live on campus btw). I have asthma, and I hate the smell, so anyway, she and her boyfriend proceeded to do it in the room beside me, thinking if they closed the door, it wouldn’t smell up our entire place. She was wrong lol.”

“Two weeks into Freshman year I was showering, and when I came back into our dorm my roommate was having a seizure on her bed. I had to call 911 and hold her so she wouldn’t fall off her bed and hurt herself. I had to ride in the ambulance with her and stay with her all night because her parents lived three hours away. It was terrifying especially because the doctors were asking me for information about her, but I literally only met her two weeks before so I knew nothing about her.”

“My roommate used to eat nothing but oily fried foods and then complain about having stomach problems. She would get sick at night and vomit all night five feet away from me.”

“Last year my girlfriend and I used to get it on in my dorm room a lot. My roommate was totally cool with leaving but one day when he was drunk he unlocked the door and let our mutual friend run in as my girlfriend and I were doing it. Needless to say, they’ve seen the two of us naked several times.”

“My roommates last year were total psychopaths. They didn’t want to have to clean their dishes so they created a CHORE LIST that we had to complete every week. Each person got an area of the house. The problem was, the person who got kitchen basically had to clean everyone’s dishes. I wanted us to do our own dishes because I didn’t want to touch other people’s nasty sh*t, and I like never cooked, but I lost that battle. They used to text me and harass me to come home and clean their stuff.”

“My roommates last year didn’t like that I had more friends than them so they made a rule that every time I had someone over I owed them money :-)”

Photo Credit:  1

Hi! I'm a junior at Pitt and I finally learned how to pump my own gas (But only at some gas stations - sorry, I'm from Jersey). I'm a big fan of cities, fast cars, alternative music and thinking outside the bun. 
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt