This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

On October 18th, Hulu released its long-awaited, eagerly anticipated eight-episode mini-series, Looking for Alaska. Based on the 2005 novel by John Green, the show follows Miles “Pudge” Halter in his first year at Culver Creek Academy, where he goes “to seek a Great Perhaps.” He meets Chip “the Colonel” Martin, Takumi and Alaska Young. The semi-autobiographical story is a coming-of-age story about first loves, friendship, tragedy, pranks and maturity.

Anytime a beloved book that has topped many bestseller lists is adapted for the screen, there is a possibility that those who loved the novel will rail against the adaptation. Very impressively, Looking for Alaska has been met with praise by John Green fans and critics alike. As someone who read the book, I argue that what makes the mini-series so good is that it is vastly different from its source material. Hulu took the best parts of the novel and added interesting storylines for previously minor/antagonistic characters, more overt feminist discourse and an amazing soundtrack. So yes, Hulu’s Looking for Alaska is better than I, the person who screamed and sat in shock after reading the first several pages of Chapter 32 in my seventh grade study hall, thought it would be – because it is nothing like what I thought it would be. Here are the highlights:

The cinematography

Shot in Louisiana, the show includes some gorgeous shots of the forests and lakes surrounding the campus used to depict Culver Creek. The iconic locations from the novel, such as the smoking hall, are fully brought to life.

The character development

Rather than depicting the preppy rich students at Culver Creek as unfeeling egomaniacs (which Pudge does in the book), the show humanizes even the most unsympathetic of characters. The Weekday Warriors are shaken by the tragedy that befalls Pudge and his friends. Mr. Starnes, the stern administrator nicknamed “the Eagle.” is at first a typical buzzkill, and then the character for whom the audience feels the sorriest. The third person point of view presents even the most unlikable characters in such a way that you want all of them to be okay.

The inclusion of iconic John Green quotes

For example: “Because no one can catch the motherf*cking fox.”

The attention to detail

John Green being one of the executive producers on the project might have had something to do with it, but many clever allusions to the novel are made. From Alaska’s blue nail polish to the messages scribbled around the payphones, there are a plethora of Easter eggs.

The unexpected hilarity

“Your dad’s name is Walter Halter?”

The soundtrack

Iron & Wine, The Killers and The Postal Service all in one mini-series was almost too exciting.

The end credits

I applaud Hulu for including the phone numbers of addiction and mental health services.

Classics nerd, hardcore feminist, music lover.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt