Remembering Those Movie & TV Moments That Terrified You as a Child

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

As college students, our lives are full of fear and anxiety over exams, projects, essays, applications and our future in general. Overall, these are a bunch of real-world problems that are, frankly, such a bore. So, let’s put all our worries about our future aside for the moment and think back on the times when our lives and fears were much simpler and more entertaining.

Do you ever remember those movies, characters or specific TV scenes you watched as a kid that absolutely chilled you to your bone? Maybe brought you to tears or had you laying eyes wide open in your bed at night? This spooky season, Her Campus Pitt is here to take you on a stroll down memory lane with our most terrifying fears from way back when (and maybe still now). Keep your wits about you!

Photo by Warner Bros. via Pinterest

I remember going to see Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone with my family in the theater when I was four years old. All was well…until the troll came in and terrified Hermione in the bathroom. I was mortified; I left the theater in tears. The troll still makes me shiver just a little. I mean, come on, look at it!

Photo by Warner Bros. via Fandom

“I don’t know anyone who wasn’t terrified when Professor Quirrell took off his scarf and it revealed the face of Voldemort on the back of his head.” – Kari

Photo by Turner Pictures via Fandom

“The scene in The Pagemaster where Dr. Jekyll turned into Mr. Hyde. That scene would have me glued to my mom’s side, trembling with fear.” – Holly

Photo by Stretch Films via Ranker

“That one episode of Courage the Cowardly Dog that I think is titled ‘King Ramses’ Curse.’ I hated that episode so much, and honestly, the animated version of King Ramses that they used is my sleep paralysis demon.” – Sabrina

Photo by Laika via Bustle

“Just absolutely everything about the movie Coraline. I still refuse to watch it.” – Kate

Photo by Laika via Pinterest

“The first time I saw Coraline my mom was out of town, so I sat in her bed and cried because I thought the Other Mother took her, too.” – Emma

Photo by Warner Bros. via Zimbio

“I was completely terrified of The Witches by Roald Dahl in elementary school (and still kind of am!)” – Megan

Photo by Unknown via Twitter

“I remember being absolutely terrified of Gollum and Dobby as a kid because I thought they were the same person.” – Grace

Gif by Studio Ghibli via Giphy

“The movie Spirited Away, No-Face scared me so much.” – Emma

Photo by Studio Ghibli via boredpanda

“I still get freaked out by the movie Spirited Away when the parents turn into pigs!” – Olivia

Photo by Columbia Pictures via Reddit

“The entirety of Zathura. My parents took us to one of the outdoor movies in the parks when we were little, and we had to leave early because my brothers and I were all crying.” – Rachel

Photo by Universal Pictures via The Telegraph

E.T. Still have never seen it. The little guy really scared me as a kid and still a bit now.” – Emily

Anne is in the class of 2020 at Pitt and is majoring in English Literature with a minor in German and Creative Writing. She loves to read, watch movies/TV, and make every situation as awkward as possible. 
Erin is the President of HC Pitt. She is a senior at the University of Pittsburgh Swanson School of Engineering, currently pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering. Besides Her Campus, she is also involved in Pitt American Society of Civil Engineers. When Erin isn't studying, you can find her dancing, binging New Girl, jamming out to John Mayer or exploring the Burgh!