This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Everyone knew Derek Jeter’s last game in Yankee Stadium would be special, but no one would believe just how special it would be. 

On September 25th, the New York Yankees were facing off against AL East rivals the Baltimore Orioles. In the bottom of the 9th inning, the game is tied at 5. Derek Jeter steps up to the plate with a runner on second base in scoring position. On his first pitch, Orioles closer Evan Meek throws Jeter a high breaking ball. Jeter hits a single into right field, and pinch-runner Antoan Richardson slides home ahead of Nick Markakis’ throw. Yankees win 6-5 off of Jeter’s walk-off single. 

This is the perfect way for Derek Jeter to end his last game in the Bronx. It wasn’t flashy. It wasn’t a walk-off grand slam, but it was Jeter. Derek Jeter was never the type of player to hit a bunch of home runs or have ridiculous stats. What made Derek Jeter great was his consistency. He has spent twenty years playing for the same team: the New York Yankees. In that time, he was named an All-Star 14 times. It is truly an impressive feat for any player to play for twenty years. What is even more impressive was that he managed to stay relevant on a team who demands nothing short of winning and has no qualms about getting rid of players who don’t stack up. In his twenty years as a Yankee, Jeter was always the guy who made the right play at the right time. 

Fans of baseball under the age of thirty do not know a time in baseball without Derek Jeter. He will be remembered as a guy who was consistent and did things the right way. It is the end of an era and baseball fans, particularly Yankees fans, will sorely miss Derek Jeter. RE2PECT. 

Photo Source

I am a junior at the University of Pittsburgh majoring in Psychology and minoring in Political Science. I love writing and I have an opinion about virtually anything. I tend to write a lot about relationships and I try to add my unique male perspective to Her Campus. I enjoy listening to music, standup comedy, watching sports, and reading. 
Hi! My name is Amanda and I am one of the new Campus Correspondents for HC Pitt and am absolutely loving it! Helping others with advice about their articles and getting to read amazing stories has been so rewarding. I love writing about topics that make people's days just a little cheerier! Her Campus has been a wonderful experience for me over the past four years. I get to work with an amazing team every day and could not be more grateful. As a senior, looking back from where I started with Her Campus, I see how much it's changed me and all of the great friends I've made from it too. Saying HC is one of the best things that has happened to me during my college career would be an understatement! I really love how much it has grown and how much others have benefitted from their experience with our organization. HCXO <3