Putting Cosmo’s Tips to the Test: Sexting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Cosmopolitan magazine is infamous for their sex advice, but does it actually work? Sometimes their tips seem so outlandish that they couldn’t possibly be successful in making a man swoon. So, when I came across the tips on Cosmopolitan.com titled “Sexy Texts He’ll Love,” I couldn’t resist trying them out on my boyfriend to see for myself just how accurate Cosmo is. And I have to admit, the results were a little surprising.

“I’ve been thinking about you all day. It hasn’t been innocent”
So I texted him this when I first saw the article and he didn’t respond until an hour later when I was in class. However, his response was a very enthusiastic “Oooo yea? Like what kinds of things?” After I coyly answered, he prompted me to describe in detail exactly what I was thinking which led to a very inopportune, albeit hot, back and forth between us. So yes, this text definitely works as a sexy conversation starter.

“That tie you’re wearing? Let’s use it tonight.”
The response I received was an approving “Nnnnnnice! Absolutely!” This did not prompt a full on sext conversation, but it certainly got him excited about what was to come, and actually did inspire some new moves in the bedroom.

“Caught a glimpse of your ass when you left this morning. Amazing.”
This text seems to have just come across as a compliment based on his response of “Mmmm :).” Now, compliments are never a bad thing, but I don’t think he got all hot and bothered reading it.

“I’ll show you mine if you show me yours.”
I was pretty skeptical of this one at first because it seems kind of random and out of context on its own, and it turns out I was right. The response I got was “I’ll show you yours if you show me mine :).” Obviously, that was just confusing and funny so yes, this text was kind of a fail.

It didn’t take long for my boyfriend to realize that something was up after sending all these texts over the course of a few days. He later asked if I actually saw his ass that morning and I finally told him about the experiment I had been conducting. He didn’t mind too much, since a sexy text is still a sexy text regardless of who came up with it. However, he did say those texts didn’t really seem like something I would say, so he kind of had a feeling from the beginning that there was something more behind those texts.

So, although Cosmo’s ideas definitely did get the provocative juices flowing and received some positive feedback, I would recommend putting your own spin on these examples in order to add a more genuine and personal quality to them. Also, if you want some more inspiration, check out the full infographic at http://www.cosmopolitan.com/sex-love/dating-advice/sexy-texts-he-will-lo….