Pumpkin Picking, Fright Nights, and Hayrides, Oh My: Find Fall Fun in Pittsburgh

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Notice the leaves changing color? Notice the sudden temperature drop? I have and I’m sure everyone else has. Oh so suddenly, we’ve moved from the scorching hot temperatures of summer into the cool and crisp temperatures of fall. And with this change in weather and nature, comes a change in activities. From pumpkin picking to hayrides, to haunted houses and cornstalk mazes, Pittsburgh and its surrounding countryside offers plenty of seasonal activities to keep you busy and get you in the mood for fall!

Soergel Orchards
2573 Brandt School Road Wexford, PA 15090 (724) 935-1743

Soergel Orchards, located in North Hills, is hosting their annual fall festival on the weekends throughout October. From 11 am to 5 pm on Saturday and Sundays, Soergel’s offers a variety of family activities including hayrides to the pumpkin patch, pumpkin picking and painting, a cornstalk maze–even a pumpkin catapult. These activities are offered until October 31st!

Allen’s Haunted Hayrides
2430 Pittsburgh Road
Smock, PA 15480
(724) 677-2589

If pumpkin picking and cornstalk mazes are too childish for you, check out Allen’s Haunted Hayrides, the world’s first haunted hayride. For about 30 minutes and 12 dollars, visitors travel through woods and corn fields. If that’s not scary enough for you, the hayride travels through an authenticated “Haunted Barn” that was deemed haunted by The Angel Ladies, spiritualistic mediums, who detected paranormal activity in and around the barn on Halloween night in 2001. Because of this, Allen’s is listed in Pennsylvania’s 80 Haunted Sites. After your haunted hayride, Allen’s offers carnival rides, games and concessions. Also, campfire sites are available for 30 dollars for two hours. Allen’s Haunted Hayrides operates Fridays from 7:30-10pm, Saturdays from 7:30-10:30pm, Sundays from 7:30-9:00pm and Hallow’s Eve and Halloween night from 7:30-9:00pm.

Phantom Fright Nights Kennywood Amusement Park
4800 Kennywood Boulevard
West Mifflin, PA 15122
(412) 461-0500

If you are adventurous and looking for a little scare with your amusement, check out Kennywood’s Eleventh Annual Phantom Fright Nights. Every Friday and Saturday from 7:00pm-1:00am through October 27th, attractions such as BioFear, Voodoo Bayou, Mortem Manor, and Villa of the Vampires will stir a terror inside you. Along with the Halloween attractions, the park’s best thrill rides will be running as well. However, for Halloween, these rides will be running in complete darkness! Tickets are $29.99 at the gate.

Come out to see what the Pittsburgh area has to offer in Fall activities and Halloween Terror! Make this year your scariest Halloween yet.

hcxo

Whaddup doe?! I'm Lindsay Franko. 20 year-old Pitt Junior from Allentown, Pennsylvania. I love to write and always have. If you ladies (or guys) have any suggestions slash ideas for articles that you'd like me to write, send 'emmm in. I'm all about making others happy. Until then, HCXOXOLinds