Pro Tips for Winter Driving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

It’s not the most exciting topic — automobile maintenance, that is — but I know I’ve been in trouble before with my car, Burt. Whether you come from a sunny place and happen to attend winter in the north, or whether you’re well used to snowy weather, some tips will make life easier when you need it most. Take for example the recent snowpacolypse that befell me during which I collected some “pro tips” for your winter car maintenance to keep Lil’ Burt up and running. Some you may be familiar with, but others may surprise you.

Pro tip: Re-up your fluids. Not only do you need to stay hydrated in the winter months, but your car does as well! Everything from windshield wiper fluid to your gas tank should be filled and remain such as frequently as possible.

Pro tip: Antifreeze. There are different types of antifreeze for your gas tank and for other parts of your engine to make sure 1) gas doesn’t freeze in your line, which would mean you literally can’t drive until it thaws and 2) there isn’t anything iced over that could grind and cause damage to the vital components of your engine.

Pro tip: Leave a shovel in your car. No one really plans to get snowed in, and while it most likely will occur outside your apartment, that’s no guarantee. So leave a shovel in your trunk in the off chance you need it. (P.S. Holy crap, look how much they had to dig to get their car out!)

Pro tip: Spray WD-40 into the hinges on your car doors and spray cooking spray over the rubber gaskets on your car door frames to prevent your doors from icing shut. If it’s already too late for that, use boiling water to melt as much ice as you can.

Pro tip: Speaking of boiling water, you can remove a dent on a plastic bumper by pouring a pot of boiling water over the dent, gradually, and then popping it out from the back. BE REALLY CAREFUL and use common sense. Stand out of reach of the boiling water that will hit the ground and don’t stick your hand underneath while the water is still running over the dent.

Pro tip: Replace your windshield wipers when they no longer hug the window. If you can see gaps or tearing of the rubber, they need to be replaced. Also, one can use a tube sock as a windshield wiper-cover so the ice doesn’t stick to the wipers themselves. Evidentially, you may store them in your glove department, as depicted below.

Pro tip: If you’re expecting a particularly violent snow storm, place Ziploc freezer bags over your mirrors and zip them as tightly around your mirror as you can. This prevents the snow from sticking to the mirrors. I’ve also heard spraying them with cooking spray may work, but that may also hinder your vision if the spray leaves a residue.

Pro tip: Do not get ballsy. It doesn’t matter if you have the biggest, most high-end vehicle, unless you are driving a literal tank, your car can lose traction and you can lose control. Snow storms are not the time or place to be stretching the limits of your vehicle outside the absolutely necessary. (Even tanks flip over in potholes if they’re big enough, btw.)

Pro tip: Accept when you’ve lost control and protect yourself. If you realize you’ve lost control and can’t regain it, protect your head and neck by placing your hands over the nape of your neck and pressing your arms to your ears. Your airbags and seatbelt should keep the rest of you stable during the collision. Alternatively, you can just strap your head to the chair to prevent whiplash. Your choice.

Pro tip: Before you leave, and if you’re expecting bad conditions, try to secure as much of your cargo as possible under the front seats and in the foot space of your passenger’s side to reduce flying debris in the event of an accident. Even if your airbag goes off, you can still be hurt if a textbook flies into you.

That’s all the pro. Be safe out there, everyone!

Pic Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt