Preteen Wisdom: An Embarrassing Flashback to Our Diaries

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

We’re starting a blog that is bound to leave all participating authors embarrassed. “Why?” you ask. Well, the truth is because we’re pretty sure you’re going to crack up at the expense of us. And we’re all willing to sacrifice ourselves for your enjoyment. The material is simply too hilarious to keep from you. And deep down, we know that all of you either had a diary or journal filled with the same embarassing preteen thoughts! So, prepare yourself for a bit of cringing, some nervous knuckle cracking, and a whole lot of flashbacks to Middle School as we present to you our Preteen Wisdom straight out of our diaries and journals with absolutely no editing! 

What better way to kickoff this self-inflicted torture than to present to you the first entry from my own preteen diary. While we will be commenting on out thoughts and entries, I think this first one speaks for itself, thus needing no explanation from the present me. So… here goes.
Notice: Names may be changed to protect some dignitiy in our homes towns. Actually, they definitely will be.

2/17/03 (I was 13 years old in 7th grade)

Since this year has begun I mean school year I’ve only gone out with 2 ppl. Those 2 lucky guys are Jake and Tommy. After I break up with Tommy I don’t want to go out with anyone 4 a while because this may sound corney but honestly it’s too much damn work! & stress! Anyway moving off the subject I’m really worried about a terrorist attack. I don’t want to die but I don’t want to live my life worrying. I’m ready to accept that if they do bomb Philadelphia with toxis air we could die. As long as I’m with my family, I’ll be okay. I’m not actually all up to date on what’s going on. It’s not worth my time but I do know that we’ve gone up to the orange which is the 3rd out of 4 stages for a terrorist attack. 4 being definitely getting one. So I guess its like 75% chance that we’re gonna get attacked. I don’t get why they hate us and I never will. It snowed like 20-30 inches in the last 2 days. It’s really high. The most we’ve gotten in a couple years. I don’t believe I told you about my goal and what I’m gonna do with my life. When I turn 18 and graduate I’ll stick around for the Summer of parties but once Sep roles around I’ll be heading off to California to attend UCLA. After you live in the state of California for a year they’ll pay for you to attend any college in it. I havent’ yet decided whether I’ll take the first year after High School off to work and then go when the state will pay of just pay the first year of college. Some of my friends are coming and we’ll share an apartment or a little house or something like that.
Of course I will spend my Summers back home with my family. The first Summer back I’ll be picking up Marissa
(my best friend in the picture who is a year younger) and going back to California with her. It will only be for 4 years though. Then I’ll move back around here for a while and see how things go. I wanna have my first child when I am 27 years old or 28. I want 3 kids. The first has to be a boy and his name will be Anthony James. The next will be a girl. Maybe her middle name will be Taylor. That’s cute & then my last will be a boy and who knows what his name will be. The dad can name him. Of course my life will probably won’t turn out like this but if I ever have no idea what I’m doing I always have this dream to fall back on. And Oh Yea I wanna model while I’m in California. Maybe do some acting too & I also kinda want to be on Broadway! LOL! I don’t know maybe I’ll move to New York sometime! Well now you know my dreams and worries so if I die people will know what I would’ve done! LOL. That’s horrible I didn’t mean it like that! O well goodnight!
<3 Always,
Deri

Ok I know I said I didn’t need any explanation because it is so absurd it speaks for itself but just a few words, please!!
1) Nice hair. Scrunched & gelled to the side of my head….
2) Death by toxic air?
3) How did I manage to forget about Cali paying you to attend College??
4) I’ve got a lot of ground to make up in the entertainment industry. 
5) Opinions have not changed much on boyfriends. Should that scare me?…

Derilyn Devlin graduates from Pitt in April 2012. She is excited to leave the University of Pittburgh Her Campus to Mandy Velez and Claire Peltier as the new campus correspondents.