Plot Twist: Is Showering Harming your Body?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

The last thing you want to hear is that many of your popular personal-care products may contain ingredients that are harmful to our skin. Personally, I would rather not have to worry about my body absorbing toxins from my body wash and/or lotion. After doing much research, it seems that almost every personal care item being sold has some sort of health risk attached. Astonishingly, the FDA doesn’t even regulate cosmetic ingredients, meaning essentially anything could be put into these products! Companies often publically claim that their products are “organic” or “natural,” but what does that really mean? There are no universal, official definitions of those words in the corporate world. From learning all of this I am extremely skeptical of what brands are safe for my skin.

If you want to find out exactly which products to avoid, the Skin Deep Database is your guide. Created by the Environmental Working Group, it contains information on over 72,000 of hygiene and beauty products. The database includes, but is not limited to, the ingredients used, the effects of said ingredients, and 10-point scales explaining how hazardous the ingredients are. If an item you are looking for is not listed, you can add it yourself by submitting the ingredients listed on the packaging. If you’re at the store trying to decide which items are safe, you’re in luck! The Skin Deep Database is available in the App Store and it’s very user friendly. To become a well-informed shopper all you need to do is enter the product name or scan the barcode. If you’re jet setting off to a tropical Spring Break destination, check your suntan lotion on the database! The sun is dangerous enough, be sure you have a sunscreen that’s protecting you.

After looking at countless products that were deemed a “high hazard,” here are 5 commonly used chemicals specifically in shower products:

1. Selenium Sulfide. According to the National Toxicology Program 12th Report on Carcinogens, selenium sulfide is anticipated to be a cancer-causing substance. It is found in several dandruff shampoos, including Selsun Blue Dandruff Shampoo, Medicated Treatment.

2. DMDM Hydatonin. This chemical is known to release formaldehyde, which, based on information from the International Agency for Research on Cancer, is a known human carcinogen. I was shocked to see that Organix Moisturizing Macadamia Oil Conditioner includes this, seeing as the brand is punnily named Organix. This goes to show the lack of regulation that the FDA has over cosmetic products.

3. Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A Palmitate). This is a very hazardous ingredient found in many different shampoos, makeup items, body washes, etc. According to the Skin Deep Database, when exposed to UV light, “retinol compounds break down and produce toxic free radicals that can damage DNA and cause gene mutations, a precursor to cancer.” Isn’t that pretty scary? One product that contains this, which I was actually considering purchasing beforehand, is the Not Your Mother’s Way To Grow Long & Strong Conditioner. I’m sure all the people who buy this conditioner are simply looking for a product that will help make their hair grow, not one that has the potential to cause cancer!

4. Coal Tar. Simply the name of this ingredient sounds like something we shouldn’t let in our pores. This is a very prominent ingredient in anti-dandruff shampoos, and the National Toxicology Program 12th Report on Carcinogens considers it a known human carcinogen. Because of amount of tar in Neutrogena’s T-Gel Therapeutic Shampoo (Extra Strength), the shampoo has a high probability of causing cancer, endocrine disruption, and irritation. Endocrine disruption is the scholarly way of saying these chemicals cause imbalances and disturbances in hormone levels. This can cause developmental, reproductive and neurological damage.

5. Propylparaben. This is a preservative used in a wide variety of make up products, sunscreens, shaving creams, toothpastes, lotions, soaps, and shampoos. It is used in products like Redken Blonde Glam Shampoo. The Skin Deep Database states that this shampoo could cause biochemical or cellular level changes, endocrine disruption, and skin, eye, or lung irritation.

The list of chemicals goes on for miles, but these are a few of the more dangerous ingredients in a plethora of popular products. I’m not saying to boycott everything on the shelves, but as consumers it’s important to be mindful of the ingredients we’re lathering with. Using the Skin Deep Database is a convenient way to assess any potential harm. Some products may need high concentrations of these chemicals to have the dramatic effects they advertise. Having said that, I would rather accept the hair and skin I was given and use safer products.

On the bright side, here are a few companies that sell nontoxic products:

I highly suggest checking out Simple Sugars; it is now a multi-million dollar company started by an 11-year-old girl prone to eczema. They sell a variety of all-natural body scrubs for women and men with sensitive skin.

Ava Anderson was started by a young girl concerned with not only the amount of toxins in hygiene products, but also the lack of consumer knowledge about the risks associated with these products. Ava sells many different items including skin products, hair products, and candles (because our nasal passages are sensitive too).

Dr. Bronner is a family-owned company that sells soaps, lotions, shaving gels, and hand sanitizers that are made strictly with organic ingredients.

I hope this was a wake-up call for you as it was for me, and that next time you’re browsing the personal care isle you keep this in mind and the Skin Deep Database app on your home screen.

P.S. If you have eight minutes to spare, The Story of Cosmetics is an informative video about the harmful chemicals in personal care products that millions use daily, as well as the FDA’s involvement in the cosmetic industry.

Photo Credit: 1

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12

Emily Kearns is a senior at the University of Pittsburgh. She is pursuing a dual major in Communication and Business, along with a certificate in Digital Media.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt