This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

I feel like I was just talking about midterms, but unfortunately finals season is already here 🤢. If you’re anything like me, you may need the perfect study spot to get all your work done. The environment I’m in can really make or break my productivity. As I finish off my first year at Pitt, I thought it’s about time I stop gatekeeping my favorite spots!

1. 35th floor of cathy

I’m obsessed. The Honors floor of Cathy is my go-to when the first floor is filled up. It’s usually not too busy and the view of Pittsburgh is amazing (and the perfect amount of distracting)! They have some super comfy armchairs that I would take advantage of if I were you. Saxby’s is also a must if you end up going, kiss those dining dollars goodbye!

coffee with a computer and a Pittsburgh view
Original photo by Julia Caterino

2. 1st floor of cathy

What can I say? I like the classics. Landing a spot on the first floor of Cathy can honestly feel like a nightmare, but my best advice is to go around the end of the hour. Usually you’ll find some people clearing out to go to their classes around that time, so you can swoop in and snag their spot.

The Cathedral of Learning at the University of Pittsburgh
Original photo by Julia Caterino

3. Nationality Rooms (again… In cathy)

I promise I’ll get to some other buildings soon! I had to give the nationality rooms the credit they deserve. The ambience is worth the butt ache that you might get from their wooden chairs. Just make sure there isn’t a class going on, I learned that the hard way 🥴. A great resource that I like to use is this list from the provost that has a bunch of study spots and the times they’re available. I like to look up the nationality rooms on here to make sure I’m not interrupting someone’s class, lesson learned!

Nationality Room at University of Pittsburgh
Original photo by Julia Caterino

4. Frick fine Arts library

This one is definitely more ~underground~ than the others. It took me so long to realize that this was even there, it’s so tucked away! I absolutely love Frick, it’s so quiet and cozy. I always seem to be so productive whenever I come here. Its giving liberal arts energy.

Fine Arts Building at University of Pittsburgh
Original photo by Julia Caterino

5. Carnegie library

I feel like nobody ever thinks of coming here to study, but it’s actually one of the best places around campus. Petition for them to open Crazy Mocha Coffee on the first floor please! I love to come here with friends whenever we all have free time. Carnegie Library has everything you need for a productive study date.

Carnegie Library in Oakland Pittsburgh
Original photo by Julia Caterino

6. Hammocks!!!

Speaking of Carnegie Library, the trees right outside are the perfect place to put up your hammock on a nice day. Unfortunately, the Pittsburgh weather has been against me all semester and I’ve barely been able to get outside. If you can, definitely take advantage of it.

Hammocks outside of the Cathedral of Learning
Original photo by Julia Caterino

7. 3rd Floor of hillman

You’re probably thinking Hillman seems a little depressing and lifeless compared to the rest of the spots on this list. And you’d be right, it is! Sometimes when I really can’t afford to get distracted, I’ll go to Hillman and its really good at forcing me to get my work done. For the people who need the cubicle-esque kind of space to be productive, this one’s for you!

Hillman Library at University of Pittsburgh
Original photo by Julia Caterino

Happy studying!

Julia is a sophomore at the University of Pittsburgh studying Media and Professional Communications with a minor in Gender, Sexuality, & Women's Studies. She loves to go thrifting, grab a coffee with friends, and go on walks with her dog!